mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Does Crankset upgrade make a difference?

I bought an XT 752 crankset during the Supergo sale (too cheap to pass), as a back up for stock bontrager select (600 miles) on my Sugar 3+. My buddy keep telling me to swap it now in stead of waiting for the old crankset to wear out. Would that be any improvement if I upgrade the Bontrager to the XT? what will be the benefit? shifting better, much stiffer? Or should I wait until the old crank die?

Bodhisattva
    Likely the only difference you'll notice is perhaps better shifting with the Shimano rings. The XT may be stiffer on paper but I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Generally speaking, cranks don't wear out so you might be waiting a long time.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If you're a racer or worried about speed there might be a slight advantage to the XT if they are lighter. Reducing rotating mass (cranks,rings,pedals,tires,wheels,hubs) will make your bike faster.Whether the crank swap would shed enough to be meaningful or not, guess you'd just have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    I bought an XT 752 crankset during the Supergo sale (too cheap to pass), as a back up for stock bontrager select (600 miles) on my Sugar 3+. My buddy keep telling me to swap it now in stead of waiting for the old crankset to wear out. Would that be any improvement if I upgrade the Bontrager to the XT? what will be the benefit? shifting better, much stiffer? Or should I wait until the old crank die?
    Why not swap 'em out now and save the Bontys as spares ?? Win/win situation - you'll be riding better cranks, and have a spare set on hand for "whenever"....

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    Why not swap 'em out now and save the Bontys as spares ?? Win/win situation - you'll be riding better cranks, and have a spare set on hand for "whenever"....

exactly what i did...went from a crappy truvativ isoflow to a nice LX hollowtech...felt more rigid and saved some weight...kept the isoflow incase i got desperate. Or u could switch the cranks and keep the bonty rings on the xt crank kinda idea id they are compatible