CT3
    Hoodwink

does chain stretch cause the chain to break more frequently?

my chain has popped 3 times in the last 2 weeks i measured the chain and its about 12 1/16" (bout to order a new chain) when i measured it earlier. would this cause the chain to break? i have washed my bike after riding in the mud when this happens but i do lube the chain. when i pop my chain it hurts my bike as my mrp 1.x spins on the bb mounts and puts the bolt into my idrive pivot on my gt sensor and scratches/dents it ().

i am tempted to put the der back on as a chainguide with the limits or maybe trying the seat post mrp and seeing that works on the post on the rear triangle. if any one know if that works on the sensor or force

my current chain is a sram 991 hollow pin would a stand 991 stretch slower? does my x9 short cage on a full suspension cause it to stretch faster as well? my bro has a sensor on a deore sgs (same chain) and his still 12" but he rides 75% as i do. will more than likely go to med cage when this breaks
    Last edited by CT3; 07-26-2011 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    By popping do you mean it's skipping? If you're running a 1x then maybe your cassette is worn, how old is it?

Former Bike Wrench
    Since chain "stretch" is actually the rivet holes ovalizing...yes stretch can weaken the chain. I've had my best longevity on KMC X series chains (whom make the Shimano chains as well) with a good wet lube.

I don't see any reason why cage length would affect chain longevity.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    By popping do you mean it's skipping? If you're running a 1x then maybe your cassette is worn, how old is it? 12-1/16" isn't bad, how old is it?
    Breaking* have to put it back together witha chain tool. And the chain has to be precisely a certain length since it's a fs and short cage. 11-34 34front almost 0 tension in the 9 with no sag completely tensioned at 1 n fully compressed

Cassette r der and chain are all about 10-11mo old

Fat-tired Roadie
    Dude. You can't put a 9-speed chain back together with a chain tool.

I don't know what your first break was, but I'd bet that the 2nd and 3rd were the pin you pushed back in when you tried to repair the previous break.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Dude. You can't put a 9-speed chain back together with a chain tool.

I don't know what your first break was, but I'd bet that the 2nd and 3rd were the pin you pushed back in when you tried to repair the previous break.
    ive kind of figured that from when i read a "proper chain cleaning and lubing" article they replaced all the pins on a shimano chain and used all powerlinks on a sram chain.

but didnt necesarilly read why. so why? what do you do when it breaks replace it with a powerlink. but ive heard theyre are weaker then reg links? does sram has replacement pins or are they interchangeble with shimano ones? putting it back together seems to get me out of the woods so i will probably stick to that until i can do it properly 4 powerlinks cost as much as the chain almost

new chain is on the way should be here friday. went with the 991 solid pin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    ive kind of figured that from when i read a "proper chain cleaning and lubing" article they replaced all the pins on a shimano chain and used all powerlinks on a sram chain.

..snip..
    Would that be this article by The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System

perhaps google the word humor for a better understanding
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    ..snip..

but didnt necesarilly read why. so why? what do you do when it breaks replace it with a powerlink to get you home, yes. but ive heard theyre are weaker then reg links? No does sram has replacement pins No or are they interchangeble with shimano ones No? putting it back together seems to get me out of the woods so i will probably stick to that until i can do it properly 4 powerlinks cost as much as the chain almost

new chain is on the way should be here friday. went with the 991 solid pin Good move
    stuff added to quote
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    stuff added to quote
    Yes that was the article guess I didn't read it all the way.

If you say to put a powerlink to get me home. What do you do when you get home? Buy a new chain!? That sounds inefficient as I'm trying to get my money's worth obviously the chain shouldn't break once a month. I feel it should atleast last 6months or are you say a new chain won't break if properly adjusted the first time (length) and always lube properly

mtbr member
    Yes that was the article guess I didn't read it all the way.

If you say to put a powerlink to get me home. What do you do when you get home? Buy a new chain!? That sounds inefficient as I'm trying to get my money's worth obviously the chain shouldn't break once a month. I feel it should atleast last 6months or are you say a new chain won't break if properly adjusted the first time (length) and always lube properly
    Occasionally (very rarely) you get faulty chains that fail. They need to be replaced.

How long to chains last off road is a difficult question to answer. Mud wears chains out very quickly so does some dry dust. Maybe 500 to a 1000 miles If the chain is looked after YMMV.

If you are breaking chains often more than likely you are changing gears under load. Thats not the chains fault.

I have never broken a chain in good condition. I have broken some well worn chains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You can use powerlinks (SRAM, KMC or Wipperman versions) to join a chain permanently no problem, as that is the way any of the above brands have been designed to connect by the manufacturer. Shimano joining pins and spare links are always good to carry taped to your chainbreaker so they're to hand if you need them on the trail.

And never expect one of the knurled rivets to be a great join as previously mentioned.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Somewhere else on Sheldon Brown's site, there are some blown up pictures of the pins on a modern chain. Can't remember how many speeds drivetrains had when the change happened, but the pins on modern chains are hit with something in the factory to make the ends spread out. This keeps them from slipping out of the outer plates. When you remove a pin, the spread out part gets folded back in or sheared off. Press that pin back in, and it still doesn't have that. So over time, it'll start to work its way out and the chain will break again. I'd say it would take most people a couple hours? But sometimes less, and I'm sure that some circumstances, like cross chaining, could speed it up.

I started carrying a spare link a couple years ago. Which was mostly just me taking it on faith that I might have a problem requiring it - I'd only ever broken a chain due to installer error in the past. But I've broken two chains since then, because apparently the first time wasn't enough to drive home that I can't shift under heavy load. I'll happily run a chain with an extra power link until it reaches the end of its normal service life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Breaking* have to put it back together witha chain tool. And the chain has to be precisely a certain length since it's a fs and short cage. 11-34 34front almost 0 tension in the 9 with no sag completely tensioned at 1 n fully compressed

Cassette r der and chain are all about 10-11mo old
    If you've broken your chain three times then it's time for a new chain, whatever the cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Scroll down a bit for a magnified view of a pin with the "peening" sheered off...http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...railleur-bikes

The Park Tool site has excellent instructions for most bike repairs.maintenance.

One Gear
    Get a new chain. Measure twice, and cut once. As noted above, refer to the Park website if you have any questions about installing the new chain. Wouldn't hurt to tune up the shifters while it's in the stand.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Somewhere else on Sheldon Brown's site, there are some blown up pictures of the pins on a modern chain. Can't remember how many speeds drivetrains had when the change happened, but the pins on modern chains are hit with something in the factory to make the ends spread out. This keeps them from slipping out of the outer plates. When you remove a pin, the spread out part gets folded back in or sheared off. Press that pin back in, and it still doesn't have that. So over time, it'll start to work its way out and the chain will break again. I'd say it would take most people a couple hours? But sometimes less, and I'm sure that some circumstances, like cross chaining, could speed it up.

I started carrying a spare link a couple years ago. Which was mostly just me taking it on faith that I might have a problem requiring it - I'd only ever broken a chain due to installer error in the past. But I've broken two chains since then, because apparently the first time wasn't enough to drive home that I can't shift under heavy load. I'll happily run a chain with an extra power link until it reaches the end of its normal service life.

Shimano chains are supplied with a pin for the original installation....the pin can be installed with a chain tool and is as strong as any other link....read the shimano chain instructions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my chain has popped 3 times in the last 2 weeks i measured the chain and its about 12 1/16" (bout to order a new chain) when i measured it earlier. would this cause the chain to break? i have washed my bike after riding in the mud when this happens but i do lube the chain. when i pop my chain it hurts my bike as my mrp 1.x spins on the bb mounts and puts the bolt into my idrive pivot on my gt sensor and scratches/dents it ().

i am tempted to put the der back on as a chainguide with the limits or maybe trying the seat post mrp and seeing that works on the post on the rear triangle. if any one know if that works on the sensor or force

my current chain is a sram 991 hollow pin would a stand 991 stretch slower? does my x9 short cage on a full suspension cause it to stretch faster as well? my bro has a sensor on a deore sgs (same chain) and his still 12" but he rides 75% as i do. will more than likely go to med cage when this breaks
    If you are braking a chain that frequently and it is not too badly worn as you describe....then you are not shifting smoothly enough.

So you have probably also put a lot more wear on the cassette as well.

Dirt Deviant
    I can't say why the chain broke the first time, but I'll pretty much guarantee you that each additional time it broke was at the point where you put it back together if you didn't use a quick link.
    You can't reuse a chain pin once it has been pushed out....as others have mentioned.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Shimano chains are supplied with a pin for the original installation....the pin can be installed with a chain tool and is as strong as any other link....read the shimano chain instructions.
    Thanks for splitting hairs. Not that this really contradicts anything I wrote.