mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Does Avid Rollamajig Really Works?

But it seems that you gotta give up the rubber boot to install one of these things... And I'm already using the XTR cableset so I wonder if the Rollamajig would improve shifts even further?

Phil from San Diego
    Works great for me. =)

Phil.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    me too. haven't noticed any extra friction in the RD cable due to any gunk in the cable. my setup:

if your RD cable comes down from the seatstay(and not along the chainstay as mine do) i guess the bend of the cable would be about non-existent => even better.

≈ > ♥
    They work great! And takes out a big loop of cable and housing, so less chance of snagging on random crap on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    But it seems that you gotta give up the rubber boot to install one of these things... And I'm already using the XTR cableset so I wonder if the Rollamajig would improve shifts even further?
    It can't work that great when SRAM owns Avid and doesn't use a Rollamajig on their derailleurs.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    It can't work that great when SRAM owns Avid and doesn't use a Rollamajig on their derailleurs.
    that's because you don't need the majig on sram rear derailers - it is designed to be used with shimanos derailers.

Powered by ice cream.
    Again, works great for me.

mtbr remember
    It can't work that great when SRAM owns Avid and doesn't use a Rollamajig on their derailleurs
    haha! good point! never thought of it that way, but I'm sure they aren't sabotaging their own products, I mean their "attack" shifters don't make shimano derailleurs go crazy or anything.
    I honestly wouldnt' use one unless my cable routing looked like the gus pic from above- running along the chainstay, or a steep seatstay.
    Schralp it Heavy.

All 26.5" all the time!
    There was a time when Avid wasn't owned by SRAM. I've got one of the all alloy versions dating back to 1997, and it's still working great for me after all these years.

No good in rock gardens..

Rollamajig

I've run them on all my bikes, with the exception of my current GT which has X9 and isn't compatible. My Klein has one on it's XT mech. I've noticed it makes shifting push button smooth, and it stays that way longer due to the loop of housing being eliminated, which is normally the area that fills up with the most crap.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    They are designed to solve a problem that SRAM derailleurs don't have to start with. You don't have that big loop of cable on a a SRAM derailleur.

ballbuster

Works great

Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    I have one on both of my gearie mountain bikes, and am prolly going to put one on my roadie. It makes shifting as smooth as greased moose poop. No problems with crud build-up either. I just took apart my first one to clean it out for the first time in the 5 years it has been in service. No big deal. All was fine. It is designed to put up with a lot of muck, and doesn't clog in mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The Rollamajig is the only component that is common to every bike that my wife and I own, road and Mtn, other than my SS. Run it with full length housings and enjoy a smooth sweet shifting system for years of trouble free use.