mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Do you carry a spare B-Link?

There is lots of info around about derailleur hangers and carrying spares, and aligning bent ones and all sorts of stuff, but now Shimano is making direct mount rear derailleurs! These things are attached to your hanger with a piece of aluminum that is even thinner and weaker than the hanger itself (assuming your bike wasn't designed for direct mount as most aren't). I just bent mine back after it got bent out of whack a little bit (luckily it has the same threads as the hanger so the DAG works for this too) and it got me thinking, if I pick up a stick out on the trail will a spare hanger do me any good or will it be this b-link that goes. There seems to be very little info on these things out there and I haven't found an online source for them. I'm not even entirely sure I have the name of the part right!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmmmmm, sounds like a 'perhaps' bad idea.
    Like when Scott decided their Scandium Genius duallies had strong enough frames that they didn't need separate hangers. Both myself and a friend needed new swingarm parts after equally innocuous incidents......luckily we didn't do that on the hardtail though!!
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Hmmmmm, sounds like a 'perhaps' bad idea.
    Like when Scott decided their Scandium Genius duallies had strong enough frames that they didn't need separate hangers. Both myself and a friend needed new swingarm parts after equally innocuous incidents......luckily we didn't do that on the hardtail though!!
    Your reply confuses me. What sounds like a bad idea? Carrying an extra B-Link?