mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Do I really need a chain keeper?

Ive been running a 32 tooth Salsa single speed chain ring on my hardtails 1x9 drive train. Ive also been using a bash guard and chain keeper. I disassembled my bike to polish the frame and im liking the uncluttered look without the chain keeper and possibly without the bash guard as well. Being that im using a single speed chain ring and a shortened chain do I need the chain keeper and bash?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Ive been running a 32 tooth Salsa single speed chain ring on my hardtails 1x9 drive train. Ive also been using a bash guard and chain keeper. I disassembled my bike to polish the frame and im liking the uncluttered look without the chain keeper and possibly without the bash guard as well. Being that im using a single speed chain ring and a shortened chain do I need the chain keeper and bash?
    If your chain does not drop often enough to bother you, no, additional keepers are needed. I like a bash in any case to protect the ring.

Should also move your chainline as far inboard as possible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I think that with a standard type derailleur you'll be dropping your chain, even with a hardtail. I recently tried out a clutch type derailleur (Shimano XTR Shadow+) and it does not drop the chain. It does indeed look cleaner on the bike without a chain guide. Given the price of converting to 10 speed, including the price of the derailleur itself, you'll probably learn to like the look of the chain guide...

mtbr member
    Even with a clutch-type derailleur, you chain will fall off eventually if you ride off-road. How often depends on where and how you ride. For me and most of the guys I ride with, it will fall of at least once per ride (and that's with the clutch). Not acceptable for me. A bash guard will assure that it only falls off to the side opposite the bash. XX1 type chainring and clutch-type der. is required in my experience if you want to run without a keeper.
    Best way to find out? Ride it and see what happens!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantanthemx0 View Post
    Best way to find out? Ride it and see what happens!
    Thats it.
    I've got one bike that needed a bashwich to keep the chain on. And 2 others that are running SS chainrings and don't have a problem - although I don't ride those bikes much.
    May depend on your terrain - around here, fast rough sections are usually short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wound up putting the chain keeper back on. Id rather deal with the look than dropped chains. thanks for your input.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    I wound up putting the chain keeper back on. Id rather deal with the look than dropped chains. thanks for your input.
    Did you try it without the "keeper"?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Did you try it without the "keeper"?
    Unfortunately I have not had much time to go riding also I just reassembled the bike after polishing the frame. I did reinstall the chain keeper for now. I may remove it pre-ride and see how it goes.