Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    188

    Do I need that casette plastic guard?

    I've seen a few bikes without the plastic guard next to the largest ring to protect the rear wheel spokes. Mine looks pretty bad and I'm wondering if I can just break it off? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in CO
    I've seen a few bikes without the plastic guard next to the largest ring to protect the rear wheel spokes. Mine looks pretty bad and I'm wondering if I can just break it off? Thanks!
    Toss it in the garbage. As long as your rear derailleur is propery adjusted (i.e. make sure the limit screw is set to allow you to shift onto your largest cog, but the derailleur should move no farther inward than is absolutely necessary), you'll be fine without it.

    Or, leave it on there. Choice is yours.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    it seems like the "cool" people with the coolest bikes do NOT have the plastic thingy. It is for that reason only that I'm thinking of ditching mine, too. I want to look cool.

  4. #4
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in CO
    I've seen a few bikes without the plastic guard next to the largest ring to protect the rear wheel spokes. Mine looks pretty bad and I'm wondering if I can just break it off? Thanks!
    It's there basically to keep poorly tuned and maintained bikes from dropping the chain inbetween the spokes & cassette.

    Back in the day, mine got destroyed, and lo' & behold the chain starts dropping in the crevasse. I thought I needed a new cassette, derrailuere, or something.... If I hadn't been broke at the time, I may have never learned how to work on my own bikes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    188
    Truth be known, I sprayed brake cleaner on the rear casette to clean out Moab sand....it did a great job cleaning....unfortunately it clouded up the plastic deflector . Yes, I know, bad idea and I certainly have learned my lesson. I keep looking at it and it reminds me of my dumb choice.
    Thanks.....I'm sure my SRAM X0 can handle shifting without the guard. Man do I love that deraileur though!!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,659

    Well Mr. Cool...

    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    it seems like the "cool" people with the coolest bikes do NOT have the plastic thingy. It is for that reason only that I'm thinking of ditching mine, too. I want to look cool.
    it really has nothing to do with "looking cool". It has to do with keeping your bike maintained. If your bike is kept tuned then the pie plate has no use and gets clogged with junk and makes it harder to do a quick clean on the cassette. So you see that your take is that of the uninformed. High end bikes don't come with them unless they're sold through a bike store and some of them are required to sell it with it on as well as the reflectors. You don't need reflectors on the trail. Never had a pie plate on my bike and never had a problem. Then again I don't think I'm cool either. I just like to ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    it really has nothing to do with "looking cool". It has to do with keeping your bike maintained. If your bike is kept tuned then the pie plate has no use and gets clogged with junk and makes it harder to do a quick clean on the cassette. So you see that your take is that of the uninformed. High end bikes don't come with them unless they're sold through a bike store and some of them are required to sell it with it on as well as the reflectors. You don't need reflectors on the trail. Never had a pie plate on my bike and never had a problem. Then again I don't think I'm cool either. I just like to ride.
    ...took it a little too literal. I think most of us just like to ride.

  8. #8
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,698
    I am I freak about have my bike not make any noise, except the tires hitting the dirt, I like that noise.

    I have never had a bike with one on, but I would expect it to rattle.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spartak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I have never had a bike with one on, but I would expect it to rattle.
    It doesn't it's mounted to the spokes pretty securely.

Similar Threads

  1. Cassette guard removal
    By SpinWheelz in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •