Your bike is incorrigible

DIY cassette spacing: good or bad?

I needed to shift my chainline over to the driveside by a few millimeters. Because of the size of rear tire I wanted to run there was no way to correct the chainline from the BB. Instead, I removed the second smallest cog and used it as a spacer behind the cassette, knowing that that would be the best way to get the spacing right. I don't care that this means I have only 8 effective gears. What worries me is that this would somehow put more torque on the freewheel. So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and is it a bad idea?

Tracking up the place
    pics please?

Your bike is incorrigible

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    pics please?
    I tried, but there is something wrong with my camera.

Really I don't see how this setup is that different from normal. The spacing is the same. The second smallest cog is resting between the rest of the cassette and the freewheel. Just imagine looking behind the cassette and seeing a small cog between the cassette and the spokes. I was going to go with a regular spacer, but figured why not just use the cog?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I tried, but there is something wrong with my camera.

Really I don't see how this setup is that different from normal. The spacing is the same. The second smallest cog is resting between the rest of the cassette and the freewheel. Just imagine looking behind the cassette and seeing a small cog between the cassette and the spokes. I was going to go with a regular spacer, but figured why not just use the cog?

I have been running a 11-34 shimano and removed the 11 tooth cog and use a 12 tooth lock ring for the last 6 month also to have a better chain line , several pro XC riders do this as to run Big - Big ring to cog it's the same as moving your bb 2.54mm to the inside !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    I have been running a 11-34 shimano and removed the 11 tooth cog and use a 12 tooth lock ring for the last 6 month also to have a better chain line , several pro XC riders do this as to run Big - Big ring to cog it's the same as moving your bb 2.54mm to the inside !
    I'm confused. The lock ring is not a sprocket; i.e., it has no teeth.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I needed to shift my chainline over to the driveside by a few millimeters. Because of the size of rear tire I wanted to run there was no way to correct the chainline from the BB. Instead, I removed the second smallest cog and used it as a spacer behind the cassette, knowing that that would be the best way to get the spacing right. I don't care that this means I have only 8 effective gears. What worries me is that this would somehow put more torque on the freewheel. So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and is it a bad idea?
    Shouldn't be a problem. Torque is spread evenly over the entire freehub body no matter what gear you're in.

mtbr member
    nmnmnmnm
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

hands up who wants to die
    No problem... I did the exact same thing as you so that I could fit a large tire. It worked fine... and you know what? I never missed that 11T high gear.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Confused ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    I'm confused. The lock ring is not a sprocket; i.e., it has no teeth.
    Remove the 11 tooth cog install a spacer between the cassette and the hub and use a 12 tooth lock ring on the 12 tooth cog .