WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Disappointment with new M580 LX crankset

I saw one when I was in a shop that a friend works in today and they are noticeable heavier than the M760 XT Hollowtech II. We don’t have a digital scale however a kitchen scale had shown that the drive side with the new aluminium axle (which is very thick BTW) is ~80g heavier and the NDS arm is another ~10 gram heavier.

Given the steel granny and the steel large ring bolt is ~ 30g heavier than the alloy ones from the XT set the M580 LX crankset is still over 50g heavier.

Shimano marketing again???

Can someone confirm the weight?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    duh, why so shocked? Shimano's not gonna make the cheaper crank lighter.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by WOY
    Shimano marketing again???
    Shimano (to our benefit) made that mistake once, and isn't likely to repeat it soon. The 571 LX crank, even with a steel granny and chainring bolts, was no more than 5 or 10g heavier than the 2x to 3x as expensive 751 XT crankset, and both could be mated to the same ES70 bottom bracket.

They "fixed that" with the 572 LX crank by requiring the longer spindle length only available on the ES51 bottom bracket, resulting in a 55g weight penalty compared to the 752 XT.

I don't know how accurate your 80g and 10g figures are, but according to my math, that would put the 580 LX crank + integrated bottom bracket at 955g (760 XT is listed at 865g on weightweenies).

For comparison, this would make the new LX 27g heavier than the outgoing 572 LX, whereas the new XT is 11g less than the previous 752 XT. I think this comparison is a pretty good summary of the situation.

With the reported increase in stiffness of the outboard bearing cranksets and at presumably less than 1/2 the price of XT, a modest 27g increase in weight (over previous LX) probably won't be too much of a deterrant to buyers shopping in this category. For those who are appalled by the XT vs. LX weight difference, Shimano will be happy to trade $1+/gram x 90.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the summary Speed?e, I guess I am disappointed becasue the new design is heavier than the item that it replaced (M572s).

The LX retail (again roughly) around 40% less (here downunder anyhow) than the XT, so I guess with the same BB and 90g weight difference it is still good value.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Shimano (to our benefit) made that mistake once, and isn't likely to repeat it soon.
    Actually, weren't the mid-90's LX and XT cranks also of a very comparable weight, stiffness, and quality in general, with a vast difference in price?
    It seems Shimano has been struggling for a long time to come up with ways to distinguish between LX and XT components- is there really anyone out there who thinks there's a huge difference between the two front derailleurs, shifters, hubs, or even rear derailleurs?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Actually, weren't the mid-90's LX and XT cranks also of a very comparable weight, stiffness, and quality in general, with a vast difference in price?
    It seems Shimano has been struggling for a long time to come up with ways to distinguish between LX and XT components- is there really anyone out there who thinks there's a huge difference between the two front derailleurs, shifters, hubs, or even rear derailleurs?
    I do. While the LX shifters are fine, the XT Rapidfires are smoother and lighter and the XTR's even better. Don't know about flippity levers.

I also preferred XTR rear mechs because they were the only ones available in the GS length at the time. But yeah, XT & LX rear mechs are (to me) otherwise indistinguishable in similar cage lengths.

Front derailleurs? I'm happy with Deore and never noticed improvements with XT.

Not to suggest there is no difference between the groups, but labels & the way they are marketed have a great impact on our buying decisions. Just ask my sister about her Jordache jeans when she was 13.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is from their web site; FC-M580 927g with 44T big ring.

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...no, it was mid 90's XT and XTR...

...I had both mid 90's XT (737 I think) and XTR (M900 - still using them). The cranks are about equal weight, strength, and quality, the big difference came in the quality of the chainrings and that was what you were paying for.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It seems Shimano has been using the same formula between LX and XT cranks for the last few years.

LX has steel granny, same alloy mid (expect the new XT is now black), a lower quality big and steel big ring bolts vs alloy.

What I have been getting at is that with the new Hollowtech II LX Shimano has made the cranks themselves ~40g (taken into account of the differences mentioned above) heavier to further differentiate their product line and justification of cost differential.

the catalan connection

If 62 grams is the omly dif...

...the new LX are not so far from being a damn good deal. As posted here, seems that the quality of chainrings will be more the thing.
    I have found this piece by piece picture gallery in the Japanese web.
    Prices (yens) included.
    http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/c...________1.html

...check hub cut-off at bottom right
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    I do. While the LX shifters are fine, the XT Rapidfires are smoother and lighter and the XTR's even better. Don't know about flippity levers.
    i have the xtr flippys, and have used the xt flippys, and ive found the xt's are much smoother and easier to shift with. the xtr does have much better performance tho (xtr paired with xtr, and xt paired with xt) im sure the xtr is reasonably lighter, although i havent confirmed that yet. for racing i would take the xtr, but if i werent racing, i would save the money and just get the xt