mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Direct Mount Front Derailleurs Suck

Just a bit of venting. Not really asking for a solution because right now there are none. Because they are designed specifically for a particular driveline, mount location, chainring tooth pattern, it is impossible to change from the OE setup without getting bad shifting problems.

My 2011 Stumpjumper Elite frame came with a SRAM X7 39T S1 (direct mount) front derailleur setup. The cranks are SRAM carbon and came with 38T-24T rings and a crappy carbon skinny bump guard (useless). SLX shifters (meh..), and Shimano XTR Shadow 10 speed rear . Really it came spec'd this way, totally schizo.

The technical hilly terrain I ride doesn't agree with 38T ring (well,actually my legs don't agree with it). I am used to my old 2x9 RaceFace setup 32T-22T and I rode that middle ring 99% of the time. SO I installed a 32T ring in place of the 38T ring (same 104mm Bolt pattern there) on the new 10 speed cranks.

Well, it's a pain to push the chain onto the 32T ring. By design, the front derailleur has a shaped cage that is good for 38T, but not so good for 32T. It takes a really!! hard full push to the shift lever limit to make a shift up. Also I have experienced a LOT of dropped chain onto the bottom bracket. This just NEVER happened on my old 3x9 bike.

Direct mount derailleurs are sized for Front Chainring sizes. The smallest is 39T up to 44T. This sucks. Can't fix this with a new derailleur, hate the idea of putting the 38T back on. Guessing I just have to wait for SRAM or Shimano to build a derailleur that works for 32T. I would gladly make the whole system 9 speed, except I am screwed on front derailleur, no such thing a S1 mount 2x9 9 speed derailleurs. I would likely have not bought this particular bike had I known.

meatier showers
    Solution... go 1x10.

Front derailleurs suck regardless. Don't fight it when you can ignore it.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Solution... go 1x10.

Front derailleurs suck regardless. Don't fight it when you can ignore it.

--sParty
    That may work, although I am partial to small front ring and second gear in the back for extreme climbing.
    Last edited by John; 06-30-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: I should use spell check

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

AH!! Maybe a solution.....

What are thoughts on 3x10 direct mount derailleur , but locking out the 3rd position (big ring) with the upper travel limiter? It's what I did on my old 3x9 setup for about 7 years. I assume the 3x10 derailleur would be designed for small, mid, and large ring? I just want good shifting small and Mid (32T) ring.....

Dammit... Just checked online and SRAM XO S1 Direct Mount 3x10 is $90..... Single ring no front derailleur is starting to look acceptable....

Former Bike Wrench
    The X-7 is half that price and I'll bet you'd never know the difference performance wise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    . I would gladly make the whole system 9 speed, except I am screwed on front derailleur, no such thing a S1 mount 2x9 9 speed derailleurs. I would likely have not bought this particular bike had I known.
    The 2010 specialized stumpjumper comps came with a direct mount that was 3x9 specific. Worked perfectly when I ran it as 3x9 and 2x9. 42/32/22 and 32/22

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano M660 SLX, DMD, top swing, dual pull

I have since replaced all of that with sram 10 speed running a 1x10 setup. Don't see a need for 2 speeds up front anymore.

Plays with tools
    the problem is only partially to blame on your FD and largely to blame on your big chain ring. The Ramps on that ring are sized for the stock granny ring. When you put your extra granny ring on they aren't catching and this is largely to blame for your shifting woes. If you put a normal 32T on there things should get a fair bit better.

I don't really care for direct mount FD's either but I don't think that is what to blame for bulk of your problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The X-7 is half that price and I'll bet you'd never know the difference performance wise.
    I know you're right. I finally decided to stick with 2 ring setup. More than a few of my rides require granny gear/largest rear cog for extended climbing (for me anyway, I'm not Superman) . I realized that even early in the season I would be walking a lot of hills if I didn't have the small ring.

I couldn't find a SRAM X7 - S1 direct mount front deralleur online.... All I could find was the X9 and X0 ... So I bought an S1 direct mount X0 - 3x10 for $82.. It should solve my shift problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Would it? I believe 32/22 is not an 2x combo, but a 3x combo (with the big ring removed). As I read it, you have 2x front shifter. A 3x FD is only half the solution then, you need a 3x front shifter as well. They have different ratios, and need to match the FD to give you good shifting. I think a new shifter alone would have solved your problem, since you only use 2x.

And maybe buy a 11-36 at the back, just in case? c",)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NilsErik View Post
    Would it? I believe 32/22 is not an 2x combo, but a 3x combo (with the big ring removed). As I read it, you have 2x front shifter. A 3x FD is only half the solution then, you need a 3x front shifter as well. They have different ratios, and need to match the FD to give you good shifting. I think a new shifter alone would have solved your problem, since you only use 2x.

And maybe buy a 11-36 at the back, just in case? c",)
    Cassette is already 11-36 (stock) , and the front is at 32T/24T right now, becasue the 38T was unrideable except for the first few cassette gears. The principal reason for putting the 32T on instead of the 38T was to duplicate what was on my last bike, which was 3x9 with the big crank ring removed for a bash guard.

Believe it or not, the SL-M660-10R SLX shifter is in fact capable of shifting a 3 speed front derailleur (The 10 speed right lever is of course only usable with a 10 speed rear derailleur) . It can't shift a 2 speed derailleur into a third position because that front derailleur is not designed to go any further. ALSO 2X10 speed front derailleurs have a DIFFERENT CAGE SHAPE specific to the rings on the cranks. That is the PRIMARY poor shifting problem I am experiencing. My stock 2x10 was DESIGNED to push a chain from 24T up to 38T. Please believe it, it's stamped into the SRAM X7 derailleur bracket. My changing to 32T means the cage doesn't push very well at that particular height.

Seems my best solution therefore in order to keep the small granny and 32T meddle ring as a combo is to install a 3 speed front derailleur designed for 22-32-42, and lock out the third ring using the high limit screw. That's my best plan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Last edited by brittleis@hotmail.com; 08-15-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: delete

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can you convert a direct mount to a standard mount?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have an Epic, similar deal, you can't mount to the seat tube, apart from the direct mount. You can always get an E - type SLX or XT FD that is designed for a 32T ring and mount it off the BB.
    I am also of the opinion that front shifting sucks - I pretty much ride 1x9 on the 32 up front. Just haven't got round to removing the 44 and the granny yet - I do occasionaly use the 44 on tarmac. I also use the XT crank on my tourer sometimes in place of the 29/39/50 105 crank if it's going to be steep - I do use the granny then.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FYI, I converted my new bike from 10spd 3x10 (24/32/43) to 2x10 (28/38), and experienced some up-shifting issues because of the tweak of chain line and the lack of syncro to shift gates on the rings, and so on. I used a couple zip-ties on the inner plate of the front-d to narrow the gap and push the chain more, and it's about 95% better. Every now and then it doesn't go as quickly as it used to, and I have to give it a little extra nudge at the shifter, but not enough that it bugs me and it's been reliable.

It's an ugly hack, but it beat buying a new front-d.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Which SRAM front derailleur for my

2011 Stumpjumper Pro. It has the direct mount and I am using a Shimano SLX and SRAM X-9 1-1 shifters that works most of the time - only giving me grief when I go the the low gear. But I cannot deduce which SRAM derailleur to use. I am staying 3X9 and will pay for the X9 or X0 if I can figure out which one.

Thanks