mtbr member
    May 2006

A different type of chain skip

I installed a new Wippermann TR chain and a XTR 970 cassette a week ago.

After a bit of fooling around it is working like it should.

Except for, in 3rd chain ring and small cog, it skips under load. (only this gear)

I have adjusted the limit screws and cable tension, but still have the skip.

The RD hanger is a little bent, but this set-up was working well before I changed it.

Any ideas??

I will try the old small ring and see if this fixes it.

mtbr member
    I would attribute this to the new components and their tighter tolerances. Your old parts probably had enough 'slop' or wiggle room to allow for the angle of the derailleur. Also, if the new cassette is a different brand than the last one, the cogs my have a slightly different offset than previous one. Your best bet is to get to a shop and have them straighten your hanger with the proper tool. You might as well have them re-adjust your limit screws on the rear derialleur while they're at it. At my shop, we include straightening the hanger in the price of a rear der. adjustment. Good job noticing the bent hanger and good luck.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is the 3rd chain ring the 44 or the 22 in front? If it's the 22, you shouldn't be in the 22 x 11 combo. If it's the 44, you might want to check for a tight link in the chain. It will show up on the smallest cassette cogs (11 and 12) more than the others. Also, I'm assuming the chainrings (and all parts) are new and not worn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah its 44/11 that skips and not even 44/12.

The front chainring is old (but still looks good).

Cassette brand new. RD has oh 1200 km on it and still no scratchs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Get the hanger aligned!!!...

while this may not be a problem with "worn in" components it can make a BIG difference with anything new. The fact that you had to "fool around" with it, indicates that all was not well. Setting up derailleures is pretty straingt forward. You should be able to put any compatable chain on the drive train and NOT have to fool around with adjustments, unless you change the length of the chain. The new chain is tight (tollerance wise) and is causing problems that were not evident before, to show themselves. I just finsihed updating the drive train on and old Chicago Schwinn Le Tour at the shop. New cassette, chain, and chain rings. All went well until it came to setting up the rear D. While free pedaling in the stand the rear made "I want to shift" clicking noises in the small cog rear and the big ring front combination, and was not exactly spot on with other combinations and snappieness of shifting. This would have resulted in the same type of skipping that you are experiencing. An inspection revealed a slightly bent derailleur hanger. I straightened the hanger (there is a specific tool for this), it was only about 5mm + off, but it made all the difference!!! That bike shifts like new now. So, either replace the hanger, or take it to a shop and get it straightened. If it's not too far out you can straighten replaceable aluminum hangers. If it is too far gone you'll have to replace it. But do something with it. A bent hanger WILL affect shifting/drive train performance one way or another, it's just not noticeable many times until you do something different or new to the drive train.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    check the quick connect, wipperman needs the curvier side torwards the gears
    http://www.connexchain.com/
    goto tests, #5 page down

Meh.
    Hey dan0, that second picture (the one with the chain on the cassette) is the correct orientation of the link, right?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Okay, connex link is correct, eyesight not great but, if I put it the other way around it skips in all the gears. I can't even see the difference.

Don't have hanger alignment tool, but I check RD Hanger and it is straight. Very small bend in the dropout less than 0.5 mm, straightened this.

Locited RD hanger and bolt, Filed all the gouges from axle out of dropouts, check cassette mounting, redid Mavic hub. Set up is better but not much.

Tried it out this morning and skip is much reduced, still won't take full power.

I think it might just wear-in at this point, and I will take it in to get RD Hanger alignment checked.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hey dan0, that second picture (the one with the chain on the cassette) is the correct orientation of the link, right?
    yes, it is, was that the problem?