zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Different Opinions

Just had the LBS build up a new rig for me and 2 of the mechanics have different opinions. I had to swap my old parts onto a new frame. My chain is stretched but the cassett and front rings are in really good shape. Mechanic #1 says put a new chain on. Mechanic #2 suggests sticking with the old chain as chainging the chain could lead to other problems and skipping.

Is there a right or wrong way to go? I have one ride on new steed. No problems on 2 hour ride.

By the way, both mechanics are quality / top notch.

thx.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    ok, somtimes running new componentry on old can cause skipping jumping problems it does happen. so running a new chain may need you to buy a new cassette and front ring, or it could work and u might be in the lucky few. but if ur chain is had it then id be tryin a new one on the old gear and just go from there

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Just had the LBS build up a new rig for me and 2 of the mechanics have different opinions. I had to swap my old parts onto a new frame. My chain is stretched but the cassett and front rings are in really good shape. Mechanic #1 says put a new chain on. Mechanic #2 suggests sticking with the old chain as chainging the chain could lead to other problems and skipping.

Is there a right or wrong way to go? I have one ride on new steed. No problems on 2 hour ride.

By the way, both mechanics are quality / top notch.

thx.
    Replace the chain, it's worn and it could damage the chainrings. If you get skipping, replace the cassette as well.