Enthusiast

Differences between SRAM chains

I've read the specs for SRAM's chains in their technical document. As near as I can tell, the only difference between the standard 951/971/991 chains is cosmetic. The 991, for example, comes with a nickel finish.

Does that nickel finish affect performance at all? Is it a longevity thing? Or is it just for looks?

(The only real differences I could find in SRAM's specs apply to the 991 variations called "crosstep" and "hollow pin". Those are riveted with more force and are lighter, respectively).

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

As you noted.....

there's not much difference. The crossstep pinning gives more strength, the hollow pin gives a bit lighter weight for the same strength. The nickle finish gives better corrosion resistance, but it ain't rust proof! Otherwise the chains are pretty much the same. I've used 991s, 971s, and 951s and never really had a problem with any of them.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Squash outlined the differences, the plating is simply cosmetic, but the better riveting and hollow pins are functional, offering more resistance to the stresses of shifting under load, and lighter weight respectively.

For what it's worth, I've found that with chains, as with many bike components, you get the best value dollar for dollar, with the "B" level stuff, which is often very close to "A" level in quality at a significantly lower price.

BTW- whatever chain you decide on, keep it properly lubricated. Good lubrication often makes a bigger functional difference than buying the premium model.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Squash outlined the differences, the plating is simply cosmetic,
    That's kind of the conclusion I've been coming to. And that leaves me leaning towards the PC-951. The 971 plates only half the links, which adds no value at all as far as I can tell. Either plate all the links, or plate none of them. Plating half the links just doesn't make sense to me.

I could buy up to the 991, but that's an awful lot of extra money just for nickel-plating that adds no functional value.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Plating half the links just doesn't make sense to me.
    But it looks nice!!!
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    But it looks nice!!!
    I have to admit...I like the way it looks too
    I have a half plated on my SS and am thinkin of getting one for my gearie when the time comes
    (FWIW, I run KMC - not that it matters a whole lot)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Former Bike Wrench
    After not breaking a chain for over 10 years, I went through two PC-69's (now the PC 971) in just a few months. I'll admit the shifts weren't the smoothest but no worse than I had done on the old SACHS chains or on Shimano chains. For the same price as a PC 951 you could get a HG73 which has center punched pins. I normally buy the CN 7701 but I got a couple HG73's OEM for dirt cheap and have been using them for over a year (one on road bike, one on mtb) with the leftover Powerlinks from the broken SRAM chains.

I'm not a SRAM basher, I've been using their shifters and rear derailleurs for 12 years and also use Avid brakes and Truvativ cranks...but their 9 speed chains are not up to snuff. And its not just me, but many of my riding buddies who've had similar issues.

mtbr member
    ... and did you know that their entry level 951 chain is also their
    lightest

Members who have read this thread: 2