mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Difference between LX and XT cranks?

Besides the obvious price difference, what exactly am I buying when I get an XT crankset vs. the LX cranks? The LX cranks are rated at 635grams and the XT(2003) cranks are 620grams. I know that the new 2004 XT cranks have integrated bottom bracket, but is it really worth it to buy the XT cranks over LX? I mean, the LX cranks can be had for like $60 bucks while the XT are about $140 for 2003's models and well over $200 for this years.

I'm looking to upgrade my OEM steel TruVativ cranks that are rather heavy on my Hardrock.

A second question is, is it even worth it to upgrade to save weight? They're square taper and my buddy has the exact same bike and has a lot of problems with creeking problems, but I have had none.

mtbr member
    Go with the LX if you want to upgrade. The difference between the 2003 LX and XT is more dollars than sense. I used and abused a 2002 LX crankset for nearly 2 years with no problems after they were installed properly. And if anyone is going to make a crankset creak, moan and groan I am a good candidate. The pre-2004 LX and XT difference was granny gear (steel for LX, ally for XT) and crankarm material (6xxx for LX, 7xxx for XT). Also the 2003 LX used an LX specific BB, which made little difference other than being heavier due to being a little lower quality than the XT. Not saying it's bad, but not quite the standard of the XT. In the real world, next to nothing IMHO.

As for the weight thing, I think you will find that the weight is probably not the big difference, but the LX crank is a better deal all round in terms of efficiency and rigidity which means the weight is just an added bonus, if there is much difference from the Truvative. My wifes bike has OEM Truvative square tapers, and they are not that bad. But they used to be on my bike and I had to replace them with something stiffer and less creaky. For her, she's NEVER going to push them as hard as I do just pedalling.

As for the 2004 LX-XT, there is a huge difference which 'almost' justifies the higher price. If you know you need the 2004 XT, then you should get them. If you don't know, then the LX is gonna be just fine.

Short version? LX is prolly the perfect choice for you. If you don't like the colour, well, you could paint or polish them I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoojp
    Go with the LX if you want to upgrade. The difference between the 2003 LX and XT is more dollars than sense. I used and abused a 2002 LX crankset for nearly 2 years with no problems after they were installed properly. And if anyone is going to make a crankset creak, moan and groan I am a good candidate. The pre-2004 LX and XT difference was granny gear (steel for LX, ally for XT) and crankarm material (6xxx for LX, 7xxx for XT). Also the 2003 LX used an LX specific BB, which made little difference other than being heavier due to being a little lower quality than the XT. Not saying it's bad, but not quite the standard of the XT. In the real world, next to nothing IMHO.

As for the weight thing, I think you will find that the weight is probably not the big difference, but the LX crank is a better deal all round in terms of efficiency and rigidity which means the weight is just an added bonus, if there is much difference from the Truvative. My wifes bike has OEM Truvative square tapers, and they are not that bad. But they used to be on my bike and I had to replace them with something stiffer and less creaky. For her, she's NEVER going to push them as hard as I do just pedalling.

As for the 2004 LX-XT, there is a huge difference which 'almost' justifies the higher price. If you know you need the 2004 XT, then you should get them. If you don't know, then the LX is gonna be just fine.

Short version? LX is prolly the perfect choice for you. If you don't like the colour, well, you could paint or polish them I guess.
    Cool, that helps a lot. So, the new 2004 LX cranks can use the XT bottom bracket, or do I still have to use the 51, and not 71?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gotta use the 51....71 too short.

Quote Originally Posted by RC JonB
    Cool, that helps a lot. So, the new 2004 LX cranks can use the XT bottom bracket, or do I still have to use the 51, and not 71?
    Some people have successfully used the 71 with some type of washers as spacers but you risk a loose crank if you don't do it right. I just used the 51. Bulletproof but not lightweight.

I should be studying...
    The big difference is in the BB you have to use. The XT uses the 71 which is light enough and pretty much bomb-proof. The LX BB is a boat anchor...Spline drive is much stiffer than square and also less prone to creaking provided you are using good cranks bolts. Is it worth the money? you're call. If you're going to consider the XT's, I would look at the FSA afterburner cranks - 625 grams.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    The big difference is in the BB you have to use. The XT uses the 71 which is light enough and pretty much bomb-proof. The LX BB is a boat anchor...Spline drive is much stiffer than square and also less prone to creaking provided you are using good cranks bolts. Is it worth the money? you're call. If you're going to consider the XT's, I would look at the FSA afterburner cranks - 625 grams.
    And for the colour problem..
    As far as I know I believe LX for this year comes in 3 different colours, the original, gold tint and the orignal and black and silver.

Do It Yourself
    Besides the bottom bracket and the granny ring, XT also comes with self-extracting bolts (so you don't need crank pullers) and a much stronger big ring (machined 7075 vs stamped softer aluminum).

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    If you're going to consider the XT's, I would look at the FSA afterburner cranks - 625 grams.
    But then you would have to use ISIS.

mtbr member
    Uhh, yeah. That to. Didn't the XT use lighter ring bolts too? Or is that just asking too much?

I never had any problems with the LX big ring. Was it alot softer/weaker or just a slightly academic kinda thing? I don't really worry now, I'm using the XT now.

Just curious. Seems like it's a curious week for me....

Ski during the off-season
    Do the XT rings shift any better than the LX rings? Some posters can tell the diff between XT &XTR rings--mind you, there is 2X-3X difference in the price though.

My impression is that the shifting quality of Shimano rings is the standard by which other rings are judged. So, is there much difference between the LX & XT shifting?

Thx

mtbr member
    I can't tell the difference, and I've used both for a few miles now. But I don't shift the front rings under full power anyway. I guess if you were really leaning on the cranks and shifted, maybe you might find a difference.

Generally, LX/XT/XTR can be shifted under full power, anything below that will get upset really fast.

Oh yeah, I guess going from large to small doesn't really count. Going from small to large is where shifting might be compromised.

ballbuster

I got my XTs for $90

if you shop around, you can get them for about that. The BB goes for $25.

Ski during the off-season

those deals are going fast...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I have been looking for such as deal for a couple weeks, and they are getting more scarce as people sell off their old stock. Performance bike had the XT 752 for $99, but sold out before I could get one.

Broken Clyde.
    I got the lx my self.
    I wouldnt bother trying to save a few grams on a beefy-ass frame.
    Have you done any other mods yet?
    [size=3]Mountain Biking = Freedom[/size]

Vic
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I should have made a good business on the price difference, but shipping really sucks. '02 XT crankset is approximately $70 around here, while ES-51 is $12. 71 never was seen above $17. Everything brand-new. When you guys are talking operating hundreds, this makes me scary.