mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Did I get the wrong bash guard?

I was trying to install a Shimano FC-M800 bash guard to my 03 Enduro Expert with the stock strong arm crank. But the 4 bolts that holds the 44T ring does not hold the guard at all. the bolts just goes through the hole. Please see pictures.

Former Bike Wrench
    typical of Shimano...the Saint bashguard uses "proprietary" chainring bolts so it will not bolt up to other cranks other than Saint cranks. Maybe you could find some washers...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Support the little guy and buy a lighter, nicer one here:
    http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what about getting a chainring bolts from saint crank will that work on my crank ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nismosr
    what about getting a chainring bolts from saint crank will that work on my crank ?
    yes it will work, like its been mentioned its all proprietary BS, if you buy be ready to spend about $15 for just the saint bolts.

however, it is possible to just run regular bolts with washers, that's how I made my saint guard fit, I had to machine the washers down to a smaller size cause I couldn't find small enough outside diameter.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Chainring spacers may work:
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCRSPA/CR1229

You local shop will probably give you some from their junk bin. But, you may also need longer chainring bolts.

Also, M8 helical lock washers may fit. If you can't find M8 at your local hardware store, try the closest inch size. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1977_32645076

IMHO, if you have to spend more than $1-2 on washers to hack the Saint guard, you're better off paying $10+4shipping for the BBG. You could probably get $14 for the Saint guard on eBay or MTBR classifieds.

≈ > ♥
    I managed to bolt the Saint guard upto some Raceface cranks on my girl's bike no problem at all.
    Just use the normal washers you should use for mounting any guard up.

And that guard is more of a guide than a bashguard, anyway. Won't take much of a hit.

mtbr member

Try some M8 spring washers

Hi, I had exactly the same problem... I originally had the 3 ring Hone chainset and wanted to lose a ring and replace with the Shimano bash guard. The other guy was absolutely correct when he said that Saint and Hone have their own 'wider' chainring bolts for the bash guard. I fixed the problem with some M8 spring washers (normal washers were too wide). The spring one's fit perfectly in the holes on the bash guard. Hope this helps