Thread: Deus or XT?

mtbr member

Deus or XT?

I am looking for a new crankset for my enduro bike.I am between the Shimano XT or the new Race Face Deus 2010.
    Both are almost same price and weight...
    Any recommendations?
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.9 KB, 447 views)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That thing looks badass. Does that help?

nnn
    mtbr member
    I would say these days cranks are made really well, so I'd go no looks. I bought some 2007 XT cranks recently but a friend found a smoking deal on Race Face turbines and I didn't think twice about it. Those turbines sure look sweet, weight nothing and are stiffer than my Cove stifee :P
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    The chainrings look like there is alot of material on it.

So I guess the crank will be lighter than XT if both swap to a same light weight chainrings.
    When it's time to go, is time to go.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If RaceFace is still using the same method to attach the crank arm to the X-Type BB spindle (a big bolt, threads into the spindle), I'd get the XT's instead. The pinch bolt style of attachment the XT's use is far superior to RF's, allowing for much easier initial setup and subsequent maintenance.

I have one of each of the Deus XC, Atlas, and Shimano XT's on different bikes. The RaceFace's were on sale when I bought them, and their lifetime warranty was compelling. The hassles I've had trying to set the Atlases up with a BB-sandwich style chainguide (on a 73mm BB) have been enough that I've been looking at replacing them with XT's.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    If RaceFace is still using the same method to attach the crank arm to the X-Type BB spindle (a big bolt, threads into the spindle), I'd get the XT's instead. The pinch bolt style of attachment the XT's use is far superior to RF's, allowing for much easier initial setup and subsequent maintenance.

I have one of each of the Deus XC, Atlas, and Shimano XT's on different bikes. The RaceFace's were on sale when I bought them, and their lifetime warranty was compelling. The hassles I've had trying to set the Atlases up with a BB-sandwich style chainguide (on a 73mm BB) have been enough that I've been looking at replacing them with XT's.
    What hassles did you have? I did that just today and it went smooth.

To the OP, the Deus are very very nice cranks, but so are the XTs I'm sure. They're nearly the same weight. RF bearings don't have a great rep, so figure on dealing with the BB eventually. You can replace the bearings with Phil Wood items and have a BB that will last forever, but it's a bit expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodus
    What hassles did you have? I did that just today and it went smooth.

To the OP, the Deus are very very nice cranks, but so are the XTs I'm sure. They're nearly the same weight. RF bearings don't have a great rep, so figure on dealing with the BB eventually. You can replace the bearings with Phil Wood items and have a BB that will last forever, but it's a bit expensive.
    I'm trying to use a Blackspire Stinger, which is 1/8" thick (=3.175mm). On a 72mm BB only one 2.5mm spacer is normally used, so replacing the spacer with the Stinger results in a wider BB edge-to-edge width than the crank was designed for. RaceFace says to bottom out the bolt when tightening the cranks, but doing so will side load bearings with the extra width. I've replaced the preload elastomer in the crank with the narrowest they have (basically doing the same as trying to correct for a BB shell that is on the high end of the allowed width), and it still isn't enough. Shimano's splined interface with pinch bolts allows for more variability in the overall BB width.

As for bearings, an even cheaper alternative is to use the existing BB shells and just replace the bearings with Enduro's (~$20). The Enduro bearings were nicer than the stock RF bearings that came with my Deus and Atlas. Shops may be unwilling to do the replacement (due to lack of the tools), but check your local forums and I bet someone nearby has the tools. I bought the Enduro tool a year ago and have only used it twice, but it should pay for itself after the next bearing replacement.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I'm trying to use a Blackspire Stinger, which is 1/8" thick (=3.175mm). On a 72mm BB only one 2.5mm spacer is normally used, so replacing the spacer with the Stinger results in a wider BB edge-to-edge width than the crank was designed for. RaceFace says to bottom out the bolt when tightening the cranks, but doing so will side load bearings with the extra width. I've replaced the preload elastomer in the crank with the narrowest they have (basically doing the same as trying to correct for a BB shell that is on the high end of the allowed width), and it still isn't enough. Shimano's splined interface with pinch bolts allows for more variability in the overall BB width.

As for bearings, an even cheaper alternative is to use the existing BB shells and just replace the bearings with Enduro's (~$20). The Enduro bearings were nicer than the stock RF bearings that came with my Deus and Atlas. Shops may be unwilling to do the replacement (due to lack of the tools), but check your local forums and I bet someone nearby has the tools. I bought the Enduro tool a year ago and have only used it twice, but it should pay for itself after the next bearing replacement.
    Hmm that's a good point, thanks for the information. I installed an MRP 1x on a 68mm shell, so I only had to replace one of the spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodus
    Hmm that's a good point, thanks for the information. I installed an MRP 1x on a 68mm shell, so I only had to replace one of the spacers.
    If Blackspire had used a sensible thickness of stock, everything should have worked fine with the 72mm shell. The RF cranks are definitely more tolerant of being too loose than too tight as well (and you can always add more shims).

The Atlases + Stinger + Turner 6-Pack did work initially after lots of spacer shuffling (there was literally a hair of clearance, but it worked), however after I swapped BB cups/bearings, it stopped working. It may be the Enduro bearings/outer seal are a hair thicker than the original RF bearings, or that the bearing cups that got swapped in are a hair wider than the previous installed set).

ol' dusty lungs
    I've been using the new RF Deus' for a little over a month now.. they look super sweet and shift well. Haven't experienced problems with the crankarm loosening or bb issues. The install is simple but make sure to follow the instructions to a T and torque properly to avoid future issues. Picked 'em up on sale at Speedgoat for 230... looks like they're on sale again until 7/1.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have both. The xt bottom bracket is far superior. I have been through 2 bb's with my deus and the xt is still going strong. If RF has changed the bearings on the new ones I would be willing to give them a chance because I like the RF's.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    The crank/spindle interface on the XT cranks is probably the best and simplest one out there for the integrated cranksets. I think a couple of the FSA cranks use the same method.

EDR
    +100 or so.

I have/had both systems. Many people have had no issues with the RF interface but there are many threads (on mtbr, alone) documenting multiple issues...but in the end it always comes down to the interface design. The crank arm splines get messed up or people have issues with the spacers/spacing for whatever reason. This leads to either too much pre-load or not enough pre-load on the bearings which means wobbly cranks or ones that are very hard to spin. Cartridge bearings should not be under any pre-load to begin with.

XT is a far more simple design and you can remove/install your cranks every day for a year and never cause any problems that seem to be inherent to the RF system.

As always...I vote XT on this one

Members who have read this thread: 0