Thread: Deus XC BB

mtbr member

Upset Deus XC BB

I have searched a thousand searches yet cannot find an answer. Took my first ride of the season (thanks broken ankle), washed and dried the bike and two days later.....creaks!!!! When I installed my deus xc originally I did it per Raceface's specific instructions, torqued em till they bottomed out. This is what I tried today to fix my creaking.

1. Took the crank and BB out cleaned it... greased everything (Park)
    2. Greased the pedals and every chainring bolt.
    3. Switched pedals
    4. Rebuilt and re greased every pivot on my GT torqued back to spec
    5. Teflon tape on BB
    6. Drank a six pack of beer...
    7. Cleaned and re greased everything that said raceface on it

Still creaking..... after 1 - 25 mile ride. This is not a seat or seatpost thing either. I have done about 100 miles prior or so on this BB rehabbing my ankle with not one peep. What gives?

mtbr member
    You aren't the only one that has had trouble with Race Face BBs. I replaced it with a shimano BB and no problems since. Is your GT a fs or a hardtail? If it's a fs it may not be the BB even though it sounds like thats where it is coming from. Good excuse to drink more beer...

mtbr member
    It is a fully...and I rebuilt that too. I think I am going to try the Shimano BB....and mail this bb back to bc.

Just a flesh wound
    Which BB is on the Deus XC? Is it external or ISIS?

mtbr member
    X type

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm having similar problems with this BB after two months of riding twice a week. Lots of crunching when pedalling under power on the trails. Even after a full service at my go-to bike shop.

I'm ready to replace it.

Just a flesh wound
    I replaced my original set up with the SKF ISIS BXC 600. They also have freeride and downhill BB's. Tandem Mountain Bikes carries the SKF line. It has been perfectly silent and smooth for 3 months.

Expensive, but they have a 5 year warranty.

Ride Everything
    Try the Enduro BB. Much better than the RF.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I replaced mine with an XTR bb but I'm sure an XT will do just as well. I haven't had any problems so far...

mtbr member
    I took that step today and bought the XTR BB from my LBS $84.99 fyi..........STILL CREAKS.....a 6 pack later I found the issue (i should post this in the GT forum) On my Force, there is a replaceable dropout/der. hanger held in place by two long a$$ chainring bolts. Greased those and no more creaks.......I'm still keeping the BB though. Lesson learned??? when in doubt...grease everything!

mtbr member
    Glad u found it bro. With enough beer anything is possible. That XTR bb should last u awhile.

mtbr member
    You could've also just replaced the bearings inside the cups with Enduro bearings (Phil Wood and Enduro both make a tool to make this easy). Some shops have the tool (you may have to call around) and the bearings are relatively inexpensive.

"El Whatever"
    Sorry to bring this one back up, but I have quite some time searching and I can't find an answer to my question....

To use a Shimano BB on a RF X-Type set-up, is it just to straight swap the BB??

No need for other spacers, o-rings, whatever?? Is it that simple as removing old cups, using new ones and be done with it??

I see that description of Shimano BB's mention that the BB does not include some external seals and are sold separately... Do I need those external seals for my RF Deus??

Thanks for any info!
    Check my Site

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Sorry to bring this one back up, but I have quite some time searching and I can't find an answer to my question....

To use a Shimano BB on a RF X-Type set-up, is it just to straight swap the BB??

No need for other spacers, o-rings, whatever?? Is it that simple as removing old cups, using new ones and be done with it??

I see that description of Shimano BB's mention that the BB does not include some external seals and are sold separately... Do I need those external seals for my RF Deus??

Thanks for any info!
    IME the shimano bb cups are a straight swap of the RF cups (with bearing of course). This was on an '05 or '06 RF Evolve crankset.

I'd wait for further validation on this...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    IME the shimano bb cups are a straight swap of the RF cups (with bearing of course). This was on an '05 or '06 RF Evolve crankset.

I'd wait for further validation on this...
    I'm ordering a couple spindle spacers just in case, but I'll fire with the Shimano.

Actually, I may keep the RF as a spare as I think it's still good to go but has a year and a half of riding and one wet season.

Thanks!
    Check my Site

Kid disguised as an adult
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Try the Enduro BB. Much better than the RF.
    +1! I replaced my shot Race Face Deus BB with the Enduro BB and saw a huge improvement as soon as it was installed. The BB spins smoother than my road bike now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I run the dues xc x type with no problems. That being said i work in a shop have access to many tools most people don't have. The steps i took for my installation as fallows.

(1) Face the bb shell, with external bearings this is especially important. The mating surface must be flat and parallel with each other. You cannot get a good install with beveled bb shells.
    (2) Replace the bearings with enduro ceramics (I take this step with every crank/bb on my bikes they just last longer and are generally better. They are about 100 bucks and will work with shimano, FSA, and RaceFace. Also those three companys bb are totaly interchangeable.)
    (3) Dry fit the shell if u feel much play i will add a few wraps of Teflon tape plus i will use a quality assembly lube
    (4) If i need any spacers i will only use alloy, i never use the cheap plastic ones that come with most cranks.
    (5) Make sure the cups are VERY tight loose cups cause creaks and over time can mushroom the bb shell.
    (6) Install as normal, i usually will add a dab of green lock tight to the crank bolt.