banned

New question here. Deus vs Xt vs Atlas

Im kinda considering swaping my 2003 XT cranks with the race face deus. Apart from the bling and the 100gr savings Im wondering if this is a worthwhile investment. The Xts, apart from creaking a bit under hard pedaling, work pretty smoothly. Also being on the 190lb range and doing a few 1-2" drops here and there is it worth considering the Atlas over the Deuce or will the Deuce take the beating? Thanx all.

LBS Manager

This is what I was told

I was talking to a race face rep in a shop one day who said off the record that the dues cranks are strong enough to downhill on for a smooth rider. They are stronger and stiffer than the turbines were and guys used to beat the hell out of those. I have a set and love them but make sure you follow the istalation instuctions to a tee, The crank arm has to tightened intill it literaly can't be tightened any more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I purchased both the Deus and the Atlas (both in black). The Atlas is beefier (and noticeable heavier and likely not much if at all lighter then your XT's). I weigh 245 lbs (working my way to 230 lbs) and will be running an E-13 bash guard (the Atlas spider is a little thicker), so I have decided to go with the Atlas on my new bike (Evil Sovereign, should be here next week). If you decided to go with the Deus I can sell you a brand new set (in the original box with instructions and warrenti card) for $205 shipped in the lower 48. Email me at PowersUSA -at- gmail -dot- com if you are interested.

banned
    sorry for the late reply. got mine from jenson @199! hopefully wont get an older defective version. thanks for the input

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't think you will get 100g saving by going to Deus, your 03 XTs (assuming they are M752 with a XT BB) is around the 865g mark as a set but you will get increased stiffness.

banned
    oh well. more stiffness, hopefully no creaking and some bling then.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    sorry for the late reply. got mine from jenson @199! hopefully wont get an older defective version. thanks for the input
    Did you check out the LX 580 crankset? Jenson has it for $114.95. They're a little heavier, but quite a bit cheaper and look a lot like the stronger FR type HONE crankset and similar weight. Heard they're pretty stiff too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

As in sucking wind
    I've had my Deus for about a year, I weigh between 185 and 195 depending how much
    stuff I carry along. I do 1 to 1 1/2 foot drops and have had zero problems. When I was looking at buying them I was debating the same thing: Deus or Atlas.
    Happy I went with the Deus