Thread: Deus Creak

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Deus Creak

Help! I'm fresh out of ideas. I've got a Race Face Deus BB/Crank that has suddenly developed an evil creak. I replaced the BB, regreased the threads on both the crank both and BB/crank interface, greased the BB threads and tightened everything to the torque specs. Still no relief. What am I missing?

ups and downs
    Chainring bolts? That's caught me with the Deus cranks.

fight the system
    i had my non-drive side crank come loose on the bb spindle. yikes! it never twisted free but it developed 1/2" of play side to side but before it got so loose it made a whole lot of noise.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Chainring bolts? That's caught me with the Deus cranks.
    Chainring bolts is the most common cause of the annoying creak on Race Face Deus cranks. Remove it, clean it, put loctite and tighten it. That should solve the annoying creak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by grayling
    Help! I'm fresh out of ideas. I've got a Race Face Deus BB/Crank that has suddenly developed an evil creak. I replaced the BB, regreased the threads on both the crank both and BB/crank interface, greased the BB threads and tightened everything to the torque specs. Still no relief. What am I missing?
    What kind of bike? My bike also developed a creak that had all the symptoms of a bottom bracket creak (also a Deus). While I had the crank off, I tightened up the bottom pivot for my rear suspension. It was just a tad loose - but that was it! It's sometimes really hard to locate those creaks - they often sound like they are coming from the bottom bracket, but it can be the rear triangle or other places, too.

I should be studying...
    Chain ring bolts... you have a few options. First make sure they are tight, but not too tight as they are alloy-- I sheared mine trying to fix the creaking. You can use red lock tight between the nut and chain ring, this can help alleviate creaking. I just swithced to steel chainring nuts/bolts and my ride is once again creak free.
    Formerly known as iceaxe