Thread: deus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

deus?

Did Raceface solve the Deus problem?
    Lossening of crankarm and beraing preload...

Is the Deus the best buy beside XTR?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone?

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    My understanding of the problem (and I could be ill-informed), is that the main cause of the crank loosening problem is the aluminum crank bolt stripping out. If that's the case, maybe a regular steel crank bolt from a RF Evolve crankset would solve the problem?? The basic design of the Evolve and Deuss seem to be very similar and it wouldn't surprise me if the bolts are interchangeable.

I do not know if Race Face has fixed the problem on the new Deuss cranks yet or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

My 2 cents

I bought my dues cranks new at the begining of this season. That new bike build has seen 600 miles. My experiences are as follows: Initial installation was simple (I thought). I love the adjustable chainline. After a couple rides my drive crank did become extreemly loose. I consider this my fault for not putting loctite on the bolt, since I did it has not moved once. Around mile 500 I broke a tooth off the middle ring right at a shift ramp. I like to think I keep up with my bikes pretty good, I have a chain cleaner that I use about once a week when I clean and inspect the rest of the bike. After reading on this site someone else had it happen plus a missing or backed out ring bolt in line with the tooth. Sure enough my bolt had gone a-wall. So again I consider this my fault. I removed the cranks, rings and bb. I machined the crippled tooth. replaced the ring bolt with a temp steel one, loctited the threads on the chainring bolts. Upon my reassembly of this set up I found a few things that I should have done better. When I put in the bb there are O rings that give resistance for me I was right before the bb bottomed out on frame. This caused a little bit of a resistance in the bearings when spinning the cranks. Now that the right bb cup is installed butted up to frame and I also removed a preload elastomer they spin pretty good. So I guess what I'm saying take your time installing them. The things that can go wrong with them, could go wrong with other cranks. Would I get them again...Yes. They are light extreemly stiff. and I can't fault them for anything yet. I'm 150lbs they are on a soft tail that rides aggresive xc. Hope this helps

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by opticals
    Did Raceface solve the Deus problem?
    Lossening of crankarm and beraing preload...

Is the Deus the best buy beside XTR?
    Save yourself some grief and get the XTs, they are stiffer than the XTRs, and they are a better design than the Dues on several accords. The hollow arms will be much stiffer, that's a given and RF just can't compete on that level. The "pinch bolt" clamping system on the shimano cranks is also far superior to the RF "taper lock" system. The RF also comes with little plastic spacer parts that can break and compress, giving you side to side slop in the crankset. The RF crank products aren't horrible, but they lack a lot of refinement that the big S has going for em.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.