mtbr member

derailuer cable blowout

I have an Intense 5.5 and the cable between the main triangle to the rear triangle has had the cable blowout twice. What I mean by blowout is the inner wire blows out of the outer casing. A few strands have come out. I pulled 3 of them out as they were poking out by 2-3 inches and I didn't want to just leave them. I haven't change the cable this time though. The shifting seems fine. Do I need to replace that piece (what damage can/will be done if I do nothing)? I waiting for some extra cash to get some Nokons to solve this problem but can I keep riding for now?
    thanks

All 26.5" all the time!
    I'd imagine that section of shift housing flexes quite a bit, leading to the blowout. You should be able to get a new section of SIS housing cut to the correct length from a bike shop for a few bucks. Bring the old piece with you.

Continue riding it as is? The bike won't shift well, maybe not at all. Is being limited to one gear a problem for you?

mtbr member
    it's shifting just fine right now and I pulled three strands out. so right now it isn't a problem as you stated. I'm getting all the gears just fine. i guess proof is in the pudding and I'll keep riding to it becomes a problem (no long epic rides though) unless someone can convience me that it WILL become a problem.
    thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    it's shifting just fine right now and I pulled three strands out. so right now it isn't a problem as you stated. I'm getting all the gears just fine. i guess proof is in the pudding and I'll keep riding to it becomes a problem (no long epic rides though) unless someone can convience me that it WILL become a problem.
    thanks
    It will become a problem, no doubt. Replace the housing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    are you saying that the cable strands that make up the housing are poking out the end??? if so then it seems to me that you may be missing the little metal(or plastic) end caps that keep the guts inside the housing as well as keep the dirt out

mtbr member

got them

I have the ferrells on the ends. the wires just blows through them. like the pictures on here:

Repeated cable blow out on my 5.5

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Wow, that's pretty crazy.

The strength of your housing is being compromised every time a strand is removed. The outer black plastic sheath isn't strong enough to withstand the force acting on it by the cable, and sooner or later is going to split open and release the cable entirely.

Not catastrophic as with a brake failure using SIS housing, but a definite nuisance if it happens on the trail.

I can't imagine you have crap housing on your intense, but one option is to make sure you've got something reputable such as QPB / Jagwire or Shimano housing. Compressionless housing, such as Avid Flak Jacket or similar, is another. And as suggested in the thread you linked to, Nokon wouldn't have this problem.

Another option, one which I'm quick to recommend to anybody, is a switch to full length housing.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member

ah come on

come on you guys, one of you regulars need to tell me, "ahh, no problems, run for years without a hitch!" someone, anyone, come on!
    ok ok, Nokon it is. I just swapped my derailurs and figured, why not get some new cable and housing from the store; well got the cheapo stuff I guess.
    Guess I'll bling out my 5.5 a bit more.
    Anybody ever run these? How hard to install?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    How hard to install?
    Easy - you don't have to cut them. The "hard part" is shelling out the dough...
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    well you could run a full length of housing from the shifter to the deralleur or try some of the spiral wound type housing used for brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard-
    well you could run a full length of housing from the shifter to the deralleur or try some of the spiral wound type housing used for brakes
    the spiral wound housing is designed to compress a little, compromising index shifting. Use shifter cables.