mtbr member
    May 2007

Derailluer will not travel to high or low cog

While riding over a log, the rear wheel slid off and the bike landed on the big ring on the cranks. The derailluer was on the outside of the log, did not touch anything. After hitting the trail again, can't shift into low (largest cog) or high (smallest cog). Can't find any damage - it was shifting fine before the wheel slid off. Any ideas of what could be wrong

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Make sure the cable housing didn't come out of the furrell somewhere. It may be caught up and shortening the cable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply. No it's not the cable. I have taken the cable loose and manually moved the derailleur and it will not move to the large or the smallest cogs. The derailluer is a m770 rapid rise.
    Last edited by wromig; 07-09-2009 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So even if you remove the cable and move it by hand, it won't move? It's not hitting the frame anywhere? (bent hanger) You aren't missing the b-screw? What is stopping it? The screw stops? I can't see how they would change.

The only thing I think of would be the hanger bent so when you shift down to the smallest the RD is hitting the chainstay, and it pushed the entire RD down so the it hits the stop before the large ring.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes with the cable off and the H L screws adjust all the way out. The the derailluer will not move to the largest or the smallest cogs. I have an older superlight frame and the hanger is not a replaceble. It does not look bent. All the screws and parts don't look to be damaged. It just doesn't have enough travel anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    iŽd remove the dee and check with a proper tool that the dropout is straight, as that is the most plausible explaination unless the dee itself is bent.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I removed the derailluer and it seems to be bumping the insert for the cable clamp against the X frame bottom right at the cut out notch. So the derailluer is probably bent or torqued.
    Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wromig
    Yes with the cable off and the H L screws adjust all the way out. The the derailluer will not move to the largest or the smallest cogs. I have an older superlight frame and the hanger is not a replaceble. It does not look bent. All the screws and parts don't look to be damaged. It just doesn't have enough travel anymore.
    Be sure no debris is jammed inside the derailleur, limiting the range of motion.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes it is confirmed, I bent the cable clamp out and I have the travel into the cutouts and full range of travel. Thanks to all who took the time to help.
    Shane

mtbr member
    May 2007
    And another RD bites the dust.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Actually I was able to pry out the cable clamp to get the travel I needed. I'm going to try it out this evening. Thanks for the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0