mtbr member
    May 2012

Derailleur suggestions for Giant Yukon FX 8 speed

I have a Giant Yukon FX I got for my teenager a few weeks ago & the derailleur that it came with is spent. It is a SRAM X.4. Won't stay tuned, yet appears undamaged due to any crashes or the like.

This is a 8 speed cassette.

I have Deore XTs on my other 2 bikes & they have served us well. However, they are pretty old, 7-8 years, and I don't want to over look a great derailleur BECAUSE I'm clueless about what is best in todays market.

I would like to spend in the $50-100 range.

Any suggestions would be great...Kevin
    Last edited by rockymtbiker; 06-07-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Plays with tools
    Your son hasn't worn out a "few week old" deraillurer.

One thing that I've seen plenty of times on price point bikes is absolute crap cables and housing straight out of the box. Might try replacing that before you drop coin on a new RD. You should eyeball the RD to see if the hanger is straight as well.

mtbr member
    Or, if he has been riding it quite a bit, the cables could be stretched slightly, meaning that the gears would need to be tuned.

There is nothing wrong with SRAM X4.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I already checked the alignment on the derailleur ON and off the trail. Looks true.

I figure the cables are due to wear in over the first several rides, but it just won't tune. Might be the cables and housing as you said.

Either way, I'm getting a new derailleur & I'll stash the sram 4 in the tool box as back up.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtbiker View Post
    I already checked the alignment on the derailleur ON and off the trail. Looks true.

I figure the cables are due to wear in over the first several rides, but it just won't tune. Might be the cables and housing as you said.

Either way, I'm getting a new derailleur & I'll stash the sram 4 in the tool box as back up.
    Whatever floats your boat. I'd rather run X4 with a premium cable set than xtr with whatever your giant came with. Trying to shift through cheap housing is like getting tech support with a bad connection from somebody that speaks English as a second or third language.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ^ +1 - The cables and housing my kids spesh 24" Hotrocks came with brand new were junk (SRAM X3 RD and shifters), every few KM the RD was going out of tune and it was virtually impossible for her to get onto the big ring up front. I had a set of Jagwire ripcord, supposedly spare for my bike - changed out with that and it was the new bike it was supposed to be. You are wasting money getting a new RD IMHO

mtbr member
    I'm not real versed on the SRAM lineup; but someone else will know...Will he even be able to switch to a Shimano rear derailler with a most likely SRAM shifter pod?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    I'm not real versed on the SRAM lineup; but someone else will know...Will he even be able to switch to a Shimano rear derailler with a most likely SRAM shifter pod?
    Nope - unless your SRAM pod is attack series which are specifically made for Shimano RD's and won't work with SRAM X RD's - the shifters pull different amount of cable to the Shimano ones the indexing will be out. If your pod is any X series it won't work with shimano. The FD's are generally interchangable between Shimano and SRAM

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm switching out the cables & housing today. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

On that second note, IF that does not fix our problem, then what sram upgraded RD can I go to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtbiker View Post
    Did you eyeball it? Or did you use hanger alignment gauge. You really need to use a gauge. The amount of bending that causes trouble is too little to be easily detectable by eye.

(Be sure to educate your son on not laying the bike down on the right-hand side. It takes only once).

I figure the cables are due to wear in over the first several rides, but it just won't tune.
    The above is the classic symptom of a misaligned hanger. The problem could be something else, but I would check the alignment using a gauge.

Ok. Just get a SRAM model, like an X7. Those are nicer than what you have without being too spendy. You'll want a SRAM model to be compatible with your SRAM shifters.