mtbr member
    May 2005

Upset derailleur suck into spokes. Twice in a week

After buying a Rocky Mountain Fanatik about a month ago I have managed to suck my RD into my spokes twice in the last week. So hopefully someone can answer the following questions.

1. What is causing this
    2. Can this be caused by the bike setup at the LBS. Should I have more chain length installed next time
    3. Will any warranties apply
    4. How can I change my bike to have this not happen as much

Thanks in advance
    Matt

It happens all by itself? What are you doing when it happens? So far no damage to the spokes or derailleur?

I suspect your rear derailleur's low gear limit screw isn't adjusted properly, but that's a guess. Your chain length wouldn't cause this particularly. If your bike's only a month old why didn't you take it back when it first happened? Can't help you on the warranty, that's something you've got, but most shops will adjust cables/derailleurs for free at least once in the first 90 days or so...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What gear are you shifting into when this happens?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Check the following:
    Lower limit screw
    Straight dropouts
    Straight derailleur hanger

mtbr member
    May 2005

Additional Info

Sorry I guess I should have added some additonal information

The fist time is happend was during a hard climb the bike shifted on it's own. When I took it to get if fixed they said that I was out of adjustment and that is what caused it. The first time I was able to salvage the RD and only needed a new chain and Der Hanger. 35 bucks and a 2 mile walk

The second time was when I landed from probably 18 inched up going 10-15 mph. I am prettty big 6'3 240 this time I have a feeling the damage is more substantial the RD is ripped in half, the hanger is toast and the chain has some pretty bad kinks.

Both times I was in the small chainring and a one of the larger cogs

Will this happen less when I drop down to 170?

Thanks Again
    Matt
    Last edited by mhemberg; 05-08-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Well, I'd say you might be getting some frame flex at your size, which can cause auto shifting; what bike do you have? You don't want to be in your granny, but rather your middle or big ring, when you go leaping off things, chains do tend to come off when they're slack and bouncing around.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Team BikeWood

Which derailler are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mhemberg
    After buying a Rocky Mountain Fanatik about a month ago I have managed to suck my RD into my spokes twice in the last week. So hopefully someone can answer the following questions.

1. What is causing this
    2. Can this be caused by the bike setup at the LBS. Should I have more chain length installed next time
    3. Will any warranties apply
    4. How can I change my bike to have this not happen as much

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Just curious -- which derailler are you using?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's a Shimano LX long

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Well, I'd say you might be getting some frame flex at your size, which can cause auto shifting;
    This is my initial thought, too. I pulled up a photo of the bike and from the looks of the shockstays I gather this is a possibility.

A similar problem was occuring on NRSs when I rode one (the ghost shifting part at least, I don't recall any derailleurs into the spokes incidents). The solution was to do a full cable run from at least the top tube cable stop at the seat tube, all the way to the rear derailleur. Using just zip ties, this would be a very easy theory to test.

If you can swing it, I also suggest a switch to a medium cage derailleur. Making this switch may cause some chain capacity issues for you, namely losing the ability to shift to the small-small cross chain combinations (which you ought not be using in any case). But on the plus side, you'll have greater chain authority, reduced chain slap, and improved derailleur clearance from the wheel spokes. Increased obstruction clearance and a quieter running drivetrain are other pluses.