mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Derailleur problems...

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my derailleur's working properly.
    I have a 2002 Stumpjumper FSRxc Disc
    (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...6984&Type=bike)

I have the rear derailleur shifting perfectly. The problem I am having is mainly the front. In the front I can not get it to shift down to the smallest sprocket from the middle gear whenever the rear derailleur is in the 3 smaller sprockets. Even with the limit screws all the way out and the cable loose or tight. If i'm in the largest on the front then quickly shift down to the lowest it will go, but if I shift to 2nd then 1st, it just wont go.

If it does manage to get into gear the tension pulley on the rear is so far back that the chain is just about rubbing on the guide pulley.

Please help, if you need more info or pics let me know. I would just bring it in for a tune up the shop here is pretty good... but also really busy, 2 week turn around busy.

Thanks

Just a flesh wound
    The sequence of the shift might be the problem. Try shifting into the small chain ring with the chain on the large cogs. When you have the chain on the small cogs the tension is light and the chain is slopind down and away from the front derailleur. The chain itself might be too long.

The Shimano website has all the tech docs you need to adjust the derailleur.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I believe I may need to lower the front derailleur cage. When on the biggest gear it has a lot of space, and when on the smallest the chain is rubbing the bottom of the cage. Now I've done it before on other bikes, you just reposition by loosening the clamp a bit on the frame. The trouble i'm having with this is its not clamped to the frame like the hard tail bikes ive worked on. I don't see any adjustment for it, but there must be somewhere or somehow. Anyone have experience with the front derailleur on this style of frame (stumpjumper fsr).

Thanks

mtbr member
    What you are trying to do (smallest ring up front, small rings in back) is 'cross-chaining' and not really recomended. The chain is at too much of an angle when in Mid up front to pop over to Granny when using the 3 small teeth in the back.

Prophet Julio's suggestion is good, drop from Mid to Granny when the chain is in the 3 largest teeth in the back.

Your bike came with a 22/32/44 crank and a 11-32 9-speed rear cassette. The gear ratios of Granny 7, Granny 8 and Granny 9 are the same ratios as Mid 4, Mid 5, and Mid6. There isn't any reason to be trying to go to Granny from a Mid 7 gear position.

According to Specialized's website, your bike comes with an E-type derailleur that is located by the bottom bracket and a retaining bolt. You are correct that there isn't much adjustment:
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...-E.-type-.html
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830608831.pdf

I was riding last night with a friend that has an '02 Spec Enduro and he was in Mid 5 trying to click to Granny and it wouldn't drop in. I asked him why he wanted to do that and he said "to get ready for the hill way up ahead". I told him to click the front derailleur shifter back into the mid ring position, click the rear derailleur to Mid 3 (3rd largest), then click the front to granny and ......ta da! shifted to granny with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I will avoid doing that now. I rarely "cross-chain", and I know I shouldn't do it, but should the bike not still shift into that gear? I know you told me how to avoid doing it (and I will avoid it) but I'm the type of person that likes to have everything working 100% properly otherwise it really bugs me, I'm pretty sure it use to go through every gear. I will check for chain stretch when I get home.
    I took a look at the spec sheet for the E-type derailleur and I don't really see any adjustment for height, I guess i could just bend the cage a bit...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The E-type can be adjusted for vertical height.

There are two bolts which you need to loosen/tighten. I'll describe them as:

Bolt A ---> secures derailleur plate to frame and prevents it from spinning around the bottom bracket mounting.

Bolt B ---> derailleur cage bolt that holds the parallelogram section onto the mounting plate.

Bolt A will allow about a 2mm height adjustment. If you loosen it it will arc around bolt B and in effect give you the 2mm.

If you need up to about 5mm of adjustment then you will need to loosen bolt A and undo bolt B.

At the back of bolt B is a small oval nut which can be inverted giving you the 5mm adjustment.