mtbr member

Derailleur problem w/ new cassette

I'm normally pretty mechanically inclined, but the finer points of derailleur adjustment escape me. Anyhow, I switched from an 11/32 to an 11/34 cassette and now I'm getting an excessive amount of jumpyness in the rear derailleur when I'm in the lowest(34) gear. It will stay in gear but just has a lot of bumpity bump (sorry, don't know how else to describe it) Since I'm not too good with derailleurs I figured I'd ask before I start turning screws and messing thing up more. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like it wants to pull itself off the gear. Get on the park tool website and similar sites and read about adjusting derailleurs. What you probably need is adjusting the upper limit screw a tad.

I'm guessing the larger sprocket needs more clearance with adjustment of your b-screw, as the other guy said, go to parktool.com and look up the procedure for rear derailleur adjustment, it's not that hard...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I was hoping there might be some obvious fix for this but it looks like I'll have to fiddle around with with it a bit. The Park Tools website did have a lot of good info though so that gives me a good start.