mtbr member

Derailleur which one? SLX RD-M662/Shimano LX M581

I'm doing a 29er build, also my first build. Decided on 9sp. So far I've decided on using a Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset along with an Shimano HG61 29er 12-36 cassette. Also using Shimano M529 hubs. See the Shimano trend I have going I'm trying to catch the sales this weekend working as budget friendly as possible.

So far both of these derailleurs have caught my eye but one is double the price so, any suggestion?

Shimano LX M581 Rear Derailleur > Sale | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

or

Shimano SLX RD-M662 Rear Derailleur > Sale | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The LX will be fine if on a budget, my wifes bike is kitted out with Deore (model below) with LX shifters and it shifts perfectly well. Personally I think the shifters matter more to shifting performance than actual RD itself. Same bike is using a set of LX 9 speed shifters they are good.

mtbr member
    Are you going 9spd or 10? The LX looks to be good for 9 and the SLX for 10.
    Do you also know which shifters you will be using?
    IMO; the SLX would be my first choice only for the cable routing and lower profile shadow design.
    It looks like both units have good reviews. Lastly the most important question is.......colour? ;-)

mtbr member
    9sp, both those are 9sp specific. I haven't decided on shifters and need suggestions for that too as well as a good matching front derailleur. I do like the slx for the lower profile and black is a better match for my build I'm just wondering if its worth twice the price.

Frame and fork, most components are black, and going for carbon hbars and seat post

Edit: If I go the slx route I found this front derailleur. Just not sure if I can use it.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M660 Front Derailleur Top Swing 9 Speed

Or I can select from any of these.
    Derailleurs at Price Point
    Last edited by Chillout; 11-22-2012 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With the RD - not having the loop of cable to catch with the SLX can be a plus somewhat dependent on your local trails, we have a lot of jungle so i use them. I have to say that the low profile design isn't a big selling point for me - you can still bash them; done it myself. Whether it's worth dbl the price depends on just how much of a budget you are on; the 9 speed LX RD's are pretty good

The top swing FD will work fine - it is dual pull works with top or bottom cable routing) - but they are not that important Deore (cheapest) will work fine, the more expensive ones are a little lighter - you won't notice better shifting by spending more

shifters the 9 speed deore, LX, SLX, XT all work well - The 9 speed XTR are in a league of their own though. Once again depends on just how tight a budget you are on - I think the SLX and XT have better bushings than the Deore and LX so if you can afford it go for those. You need xtr to get bearings.
    I would save on the FD/ RD and spend more on the shifters if I were you

mtbr member
    On the 9 speed shifters; in other research I did, XTR has 4 bearings, XT 2 bearings. All other Shimano Shifters have bushings. I can't tell a huge difference from M590 Deore, LM M580 and SLX M660. Newer XT M770 is a bit more notchey feeling than the older M750/M760, but does have 2 way release like the others I mentioned above and is pretty smooth over SLX. I will say, M590 Deore was a big step up from older Deore models and work great. I've had them on My bike for 2 years and they still feel like new.
    On the rear derailleurs; SLX has it all over M581, much less chain slap and shifts are very crisp due to a stronger ("SRAM - like") spring. I highly recommend that avenue. The older Shimano XT/XTRs were built like tanks, but I like how the current Shadow series shifts better.
    On the front derailleur, I really have not seen much difference from Deore - XT, just weight and that's minimal in my case.
    You may want to head over to Bluesky cycling, they have Deore shifters and Shadow rear derailleur cheap. The M592 (Deore Shadow) and M662 (SLX Shadow) are very close with the Deore having both sides of the cage steel and the SLX having 1 aluminum and 1 steel. They both shift well in my opinion, I have both.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I think I will go with these. Seems like a good match?

M661
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=105%20SHI618

Slx 662
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=104%20SHI628

mtbr member
    They will work fine, PP has high shipping though unless you are already placing an order there. I wonder if they'll offer something for Black Friday...

mtbr member
    I contacted them and no free shipping
    Hoping to get them to pm the front derailer which should cover the shipping. I have a few other things I'll be ordering from them.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Is it a good idea to mix Xt with slx or should I go with something like this?
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ur-9-Speed.htm

And
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ng_9_Speed.htm

No free shipping but should equal out with prices.

mtbr member
    The RDR in the link above is not a Shadow series and will have the cable loop and not be tucked in as much. There is no reason you can't match Deore, SLX, XT, XTR. Many bike come with varying levels, especially putting a higher level rear derailleur with lower level shifters. This makes the bike "appear" more high-end. I would stay Deore or better on all parts, just stay with 9 or 10 speed depending on your preference, but don't mix 9 & 10 together...

mtbr member
    Well they do have the 772 but the reviews on mtbr aren't promising. I kinda want a matching at of at all possible.
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ur-9-Speed.htm

mtbr member
    If you want to spend the extra money, there is nothing wrong with the M772, I know many folks that use them and have for years. There were a few issues early on when they came out back in 08, but those have long since been resolved, I doubt you have an issue unless a stick eats it! I use SLX for the little bit more steel and minimal weight gain, but either will do just fine.

mtbr member
    I will most likely pick up the Xt line since it is my main ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anybody had any issues rear derailleur wise when used with the newer 36 tooth cassettes? Are there any problems with the cage lengths when using any Shimano rear derailleurs?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld