mtbr member
    May 2007

derailleur help please!!!

so my rear der. has something screwy going on. not sure if its the der or the shifter, but say my shfiter says im on 9, but my chain is on the 2nd smallest cog, still has one to go. and also my shifter will only go down to 2 but my chain will be on my biggest cog. how do i fix this?

neutiquam erro
    This is a good cover-to-cover RD adjustment tutorial from Park Tools. Excellent website for the DITY wrencher.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look here: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/ for advices.
    To me it looks like you need to loosen the rear derailleur cable. Possibly, you need to loosen the "High" limit screw as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    is there a chance its something wrong with the actual shifter?i loosened the h screw a good bit and that didnt fix it

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe38
    is there a chance its something wrong with the actual shifter?i loosened the h screw a good bit and that didnt fix it
    the H and L screw only keep the chain from going too far either way
    loosen the clamp holding the cable, the chain should go all the way to one side. adjust the limit screw, tighten the clamp and shift all the way to the other side , adjust the other limit screw. now you should only need to fine tune the cable adjusters.
    Read the links posted Park tools has detailed instructions
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe38
    How about loosening the cable? Judging by your description, your rear mech is constantly 1 gear lower than the shifter, isn't it? If so, the apparent solution is to try and loosen the cable. You may do it by turning the adjusting barrel on the shifter clockwise. If it is not enough, there must be(on most rear mechs) a barrel on the mech itself, where the cable enters.