Thread: Derailleur Help

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Derailleur Help

I've got a 1x10 (32 - 11-36) Shimano XT setup. I just had a full servicing done, but it seems my rear derailleur is having issues coming out of the highest gear, as there seems to be some major lag and extra tension that is required. All other gears seem to shift just fine.

When I first got my bike back from the shop, my chain was hitting the rear screw on my bracket axel unit when riding in smallest cog (high gear). This only happened after my first ride. The shop filed the screw down, but the lag coming out of my smallest cog still remains.

Any advice? Is this merely an error on the mechanics part when he put the derailleur back on and rewired?

mtbr member
    Check: Hanger alignment, derailleur cage not bent, chain correct length, B screw correct, limit screws correct, derailleur moves freely and is not worn and wobbly about the B or P knuckles, pulley teeth not excessively worn or top pulley bushing worn such that pulley is wobbly (some lateral play is normal), and the cable. Any imperfections in the cable can be problematic including kinks, fraying, worn housings, bad housing ends, bent housings, corrosion and contamination. These are things your LBS should have checked during a service and after you brought in with an issue post service.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    So it's hesitating when shifting from the smallest to the second smallest cassette cog? Try turning your barrel adjuster (on shift lever) a half turn counter-clockwise.
    I brake for stinkbugs