mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. Derailleur guard??

This afternoon I was riding single track in the snow and hit a rock with my Gary Fisher that ripped off my derailleur. Stripped the bolt hole in the frame too. This is the second time I've had a derailleur ripped off riding in the woods. First time a branch wedged in and tore the derailleur off and left me with a 2-3 mile walk. This time I was only only a half mile from home. Does anyone make a sturdy guard to protect the derailleur from stuff like this? Or has anyone come up with a do-it-yourself piece of gear?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    try the shadow series and work on tecnique

mtbr member
    a hanger banger

Hanger Banger

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Derailleur guard??

I'll give the Hanger Banger a try. Yeah, it may be only a few bucks to replace a derailleur, but the frame of my Gary Fisher is what I'm trying to save. The threads have been stripped out of the derailleur mount and I've now gone to a threaded insert. It works OK but I'll try the HB as a bit of insurance too. Thanks for the lead

mtbr member
    most welcome

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKer
    I'll give the Hanger Banger a try. Yeah, it may be only a few bucks to replace a derailleur, but the frame of my Gary Fisher is what I'm trying to save. The threads have been stripped out of the derailleur mount and I've now gone to a threaded insert. It works OK but I'll try the HB as a bit of insurance too. Thanks for the lead
    nothing wrong with a hanger banger I have one, but
    if you're worried about the frame I'd be carefull. the banger attaches to your axle and the deraillier bolt , so it kind of reinforces the hanger which is designed to break before the frame. since it cant break, the next step up is the frame and/or deraillier