mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Derailleur exploded...upgrade to 10speed?

Bike had 2004ish deore XT 9 speed drivetrain, I had to replace the front derailleur last year so that's a newer XT triple derailleur now.

Can I upgrade to 10-speed in the rear with just a chain/cassette/derailleur/rear shifter?
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes you can, but the shifting will not be as nice up front as it would with a proper 10 speed crank/shifter.

There are some good reasons to upgrade to 10 speed, but unless you are going to get a shadow+ derailleur with a clutch, you'll be missing the biggest reason, and I would advise you to stick with 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Yes you can, but the shifting will not be as nice up front as it would with a proper 10 speed crank/shifter.

There are some good reasons to upgrade to 10 speed, but unless you are going to get a shadow+ derailleur with a clutch, you'll be missing the biggest reason, and I would advise you to stick with 9 speed.
    I don't see that tech mentioned on the XT shadow RD I was looking at - Shimano Deore XT M773-SGS 10-Speed Shadow Rear Derailleur - Normal Shipping Ground

It seems all the clutch does from this article -
    Tech Tuesday - Inside Shimano's Shadow Plus Mech and How To Adjust It - Pinkbike
    Is reduce the need for a roller chain guide, which I don't find myself needing much anyways. I don't care when my chain is slapping around when going through rough terrain, it's never popped off or anything really happened to me until this morning when the RD exploded and I have put thousands of rough single track miles on this bike since 2004.

I was looking at going to 10-speed to be able to use an 11-36 cassette.
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Certainly is a good reason to want to hit up 10 speed. My concern was that you were getting the upgrade-itis.

The biggest benefit of the clutch is tensioning the chain better than a traditional derailleur. So yes, it does (more or less) decrease the need for a chain guide, but it also makes for a much quieter ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    interesting.

I can find the XT rd without it for $50, with it for $98, and an SLX with it for $79. Is it worth the extra for the XT version over the SLX?

My rear shifter is really sloppy/worn out (mainly the thumb lever to go up to larger cogs) and my cassette has been in need of replacement for a few months, I've been getting skipping under heavy loads on a couple gears. So I think right now is a very good time to replace all the rear drivetrain parts + a new chain (2 links got super bent when this happened) and may as well go to 10-speed since it will work. I'll replace the crankset for a double sometime in the future I imagine.
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like an excellent plan to me. XT components are a bit lighter and a bit more durable in my experience, but SLX level components are certainly good for a budget oriented build.