mtbr member

Derailleur adjustments ?

What is the first indication that the derailleur needs to be adjusted ? My bike has a slight hesitation and a minor clunk when shifting, is it in need of an adjustment ?

Next question, is this something I should learn to do myself or is it very difficult ? If something I could learn to do I would be willing to buy a home work stand just for the convenience of not having to bring the bike to the LBS.

How often would the derailleur normally need to be adjusted, any rough rules of thumb ?

Thanks

Rub it............
    Derailleurs should not need adjusting too much. Only adjust as needed. If things get bent or broken, then adjustments and repairs will be required.

You could only need an adjustment, or the derailleur hanger could be slightly bent as well, needed straightened out. And this needs to be checked with a gauge, not by eye.

Visit this site for all your adjustment procedures.

www.parktool.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's not that difficult to learn. Just read the instructions at the link mentioned above. The limit screws on the der won't need adjusting unless you bend the hanger. You may have to tweak the barrel adjuster occasionally. You don't have to have a stand. People often use their car racks. I hang a couple boards off the edge of a workbench and put a heavy toolbox on them to weight them down.

Try turning it out (ccw) a couple clicks and see if it improves. If not, turn it back in (cw) to the original position and turn it in a couple more clicks past original pos. You may see an improvement, one way or the other.

Another thing that throws people off is dirty cables - same symptoms as a der that needs adjusting.

mtbr member
    The wifes bikes cables and chain is clean, it seems the chain rubs on the guide and when shifting it hesitates and then clanks into position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    The wifes bikes cables and chain is clean, it seems the chain rubs on the guide and when shifting it hesitates and then clanks into position.
    Front der? Going from which ring to which ring? Does it only do it when it's crosschained? More info....

mtbr member
    No, not when cross chained but I will have to look into it and I guess look at some adjustment videos. I just hate to be dependent on the LBS and have to bring it in for a repair that I could learn to do.

You MUST learn the basics of derailleur adjustment. A poorly maintained/adjusted bike can turn an otherwise wonderful ride into a grueling nightmare. Look at the GOOD riders. Are their bikes anything less than perfect?

Search youtube or park tool for some kind of instructional video. Concentrate on barrel adjusters for now. The only advice I'll give is to count your clicks. Two clicks out... no good, one click in... equals one click out. That way, if you goof it up, which you eventually will, you can put everything to exactly the same way it was before you started. A beginner blunder is to randomly start twisting and screwing, and then getting totally lost, resulting in a bike that is virtually unusable.

Frequency of adjustment? Sometimes I go a couple hundred miles. Sometimes, in wet or extremely dirty conditions, minor adjustments need to be made as I'm riding down the trail. So it all depends, but if you can't do it, you're out of luck.

mtbr member
    Very good advice my friend, I need to learn the basics and take it slowly and the more I know the better equipped I would be to circumvent getting stranded on a trail.

Thanks!