mtbr member
    Jan 2004

derailler options for new bike--older XTR or ???

I'd like to build up a new bike, maybe an RX or Blur XC & use some parts from my current YBB. I've got the older XTR --pre-rapid-rise, with Sram Rocket shorties. I like twisters but the shifting seems to go out of alignment often. I do not want the new integrated Shimano shifter/brake combo under any circumstances, unless it was given to me free. So, should I --

1. keep the xtr & Rocket, or get new shifters to go with the xtr? What shifters?

2. get new sram derailer & shifters & which ones?

3. other?

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I'd like to build up a new bike, maybe an RX or Blur XC & use some parts from my current YBB. I've got the older XTR --pre-rapid-rise, with Sram Rocket shorties. I like twisters but the shifting seems to go out of alignment often. I do not want the new integrated Shimano shifter/brake combo under any circumstances, unless it was given to me free. So, should I --

1. keep the xtr & Rocket, or get new shifters to go with the xtr? What shifters?

2. get new sram derailer & shifters & which ones?

3. other?
    If you choose to go with a new SRAM rear derailuer, the X-O's are rediculusly expensive, but the X-9's work very good and are alot less money. I have an X-9 and an XT rear derailuer and they both work great and are similar in price. Either would be fine. I have an X-O twist rear shifter on one bike and it works great with the X-9 derailuer.

If you want to use your XTR derailuer, you're limited to Shimano shifters, or your Rocket twist shift, since other SRAM shifters won't shift a Shimano derailuer (different cable pull ratios, 1:1 vs 1:2). Are you sure it's the shifter causing the problem with the adjustment? Could just be a stretched cable...