Thread: Der Biopace

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Der Biopace

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not biopace, in fact its more the opposite. I have a set on my middle and small rings. What they do is allow you to pedal thru the dead spots in the crank rotation.

They do work, but are expensive. The rings are actually one tooth bigger than the normal Shimano set up. However, I find my efforts use about the same power (this is subjective, of course). So, I can go a little faster with the same effort

The do take some getting used to. However, once you get them dialed, they are nice.

I got them to take some stress of my knees. They helped there.

They shift just as good as my old M770 XT rings.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The bike industry has short institutional memory and oval, or Biopace chainrings get re-invented every decade or two. There are some technical arguments in their favor, but it's interesting that there's never any agreement about the degree of ovalness, or the prefered orientation.

Either way, they become faddish for a while, then other performance issues lead to their demise, and we go back to round until a new generation re-discovers the idea.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Members who have read this thread: 0