Spud State Rider

Deore XT Front Derailleur clamp to big for frame tube

I am in the process of moving the components from my old hardtail to a FS frame. When I tried to install the front Derailluer I was surprised to find the clamp was to large for the frame tube. Is this a common problem? I thought about trying a strip of rubber around the frame for the clamp to tighten on to but not sure if that would provide a good foundation for solid shifting up front. Is there a "standard" solution to this?

Thx!

thecentralscrutinizer
    There ae three different sizes that can work...depends on your bike. They also make shims.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Spud State Rider
    Ah...live and learn

I will check with my LBS on shims.

Thx,
    Doug

thecentralscrutinizer
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...hp?category=77

Here's a couple to give you an idea of what it looks like.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check with your LBS. They usually throw away the unused shims after they've installed a new derailleur. I lucked out when I assembled my son's bike because the used FD didn't come with shims and the guy at the LBS just threw away a set of shims about 10 minutes before I stepped through his door.

Spud State Rider
    Thx all......also hearing a DIY solution using sheet aluminum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Doug, consider yourself lucky. If it were the other way around you'd have to file a 1/16" groove all the away around the seat tube.

Seriously, skip the DIY solution, and buy the commercial shim.

You need a non-compressible shim with a fairly precise wall thickness of either 1/16" or 1/18". Making that from scrap aluminum is more trouble than it's worth. Also if the FD isn't securely mounted it can move slightly, get snagged on the crank arm and get destroyed, costing you lots more than a shim would have.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Doug, consider yourself lucky. If it were the other way around you'd have to file a 1/16" groove all the away around the seat tube.

Seriously, skip the DIY solution, and buy the commercial shim.

You need a non-compressible shim with a fairly precise wall thickness of either 1/16" or 1/18". Making that from scrap aluminum is more trouble than it's worth. Also if the FD isn't securely mounted it can move slightly, get snagged on the crank arm and get destroyed, costing you lots more than a shim would have.
    Yea, I got to thinking about that and decided not to go there. I called the local shops....no luck. They both said they end up tossing them out. I found one on-line though.

Thx,
    Doug

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you're not in a hurry to assemble the bike then just have them hold the next set they're about to throw out for you.