mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Deore XT compatibility question

I have a Specialized P.3 (2004 model I believe. It's flat blue in color if that helps.) I recently trashed the rear derailleur on a curb. I need to replace it, but I noticed they don't make that model anymore.

It has a Deore XT RD-M750 short cage (mega 9) with Deore shifters.

I can't seem to find an exact replacement for it. I guess I need a newer version of this derailleur that will work with my current drivetrain setup.

Can anyone tell me what short cage derailleur will work?

If you were successful with a short cage M750 you're probably fine with other Shimano short cage mountain rear derailleurs as well. You want to watch whether you get another high normal derailleur like the M750 or the low normal like it's newer brother the M760, for shifting preference, but both should work. It wouldn't be that big a deal to go for a longer cage, either. You running only one or two front rings? Oh, and it wouldn't work if you had a red bike.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Shimano models are always changing - just remember Shimano shifters need Shimano RD's (2:1 ratio)
    If you want to stick with XT, the new 06 models are:
    M751 - GS
    M760 -GS

Or you can go LX (cheaper too)
    M580 -GS

Next DEORE (even cheaper)
    M511 Long Cage only - you'll need to add a few links

Pick one you that fits your budget and riding style - heck if you want to break the bank you can also get the XTR M960 - GS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies!

What is the difference between the 751 and the 760?

Is "GS" Shimano's code for short cage?

I just want to be sure to get the right one.

-> SickLines.com <-
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx

GS is medium cage , SGS is long cage

Pretty sure the 751 is still high normal, the 760 low normal...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Pretty sure the 751 is still high normal, the 760 low normal...
    what's the difference?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    what's the difference?
    With a High Normal derailleur (which is "traditional"), the return spring (and therefore the "finger" lever) shifts to a smaller cog -- i.e. a HIGHER gear. This of course means that the thumb lever shifts to a larger cog, meaning a LOWER gear.

With a Low Normal derailleur, the opposite is true. The return spring ("finger" lever) shifts to a LARGER cog, meaning a LOWER gear, while the thumb lever pushes the chain to a SMALLER cog -- i.e. a HIGHER gear.

The Low Normal derailleur will therefore most likely shift "backwards" compared to what you're used to, meaning that the finger and thumb levers will work in the opposite direction compared to traditional, High Normal derailleurs (like SRAM and earlier Shimano derailleurs.) In my opinion, however, this can be a GOOD thing since the shifting is the same on both sides -- i.e. both finger levers "downshift" to lower gears and both thumb levers "upshift" to higher gears. It may feel really strange at first, but most people find that you get used to it in a ride or two. I also find that with a Low Normal derailleur, I can downshift quicker, and if I'm under a bit of load (which you should try to avoid, but which sometimes happens) shifting is smoother.

Contrary to what some people claim, I personally find that shifts are at least as smooth if not SMOOTHER with a Low Normal derailleur compared to a High Normal design. In my experience, Low Normal derailleurs require no extra maintenance compared to High Normal models.

Neither system is universally "better" or "worse." The design any given person will like better is a matter of personal preference.

Larry

MONKEYMAN
    excellent description. thanks! In my wanderings I have also found this diagram which helped: