Thread: Is Deore XT?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Is Deore XT?

Last time I bought a bike (4 years ago) as far as I can remember the Shimano component scale went:

XTR
    XT
    LX
    Deore
    Avilio(Or whatever it's called

So I read a lot about XT cranks and I got to my LBS and they have Shimano: Deore XT Cranks.

Now I went ahead and assumed these were the XT cranks everyone mentioned/recommended because they cost about $220 Canadian. But the Deore on them really confused me. Also I can't access the Shimano site right now except for their new XTR stuff. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by strat6
    Last time I bought a bike (4 years ago) as far as I can remember the Shimano component scale went:

XTR
    XT
    LX
    Deore
    Avilio(Or whatever it's called

So I read a lot about XT cranks and I got to my LBS and they have Shimano: Deore XT Cranks.

Now I went ahead and assumed these were the XT cranks everyone mentioned/recommended because they cost about $220 Canadian. But the Deore on them really confused me. Also I can't access the Shimano site right now except for their new XTR stuff. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!
    there is deore xt, deore lx and I think just deore the xts are m760 I believe

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So, my question is: is there an XT without the Deore? Are they separate, or were/are XT, LX and original Deore all different levels of Deore.

EDIT: To clarify what I mean.

I assumed Shimano Deore was of lower quality, and Shimano XT was of the second best quality in Shimano's lineup. So when I saw Shimano: Deore XT it didn't quite work in my mind. Deore is a low end component. XT is supposed to be high end. It's like seeing a Honda CLK500. If you get what I mean.
    Last edited by strat6; 03-27-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    So, my question is: is there an XT without the Deore? Are they separate, or were/are XT, LX and original Deore all different levels of Deore.

EDIT: To clarify what I mean.

I assumed Shimano Deore was of lower quality, and Shimano XT was of the second best quality in Shimano's lineup. So when I saw Shimano: Deore XT it didn't quite work in my mind. Deore is a low end component. XT is supposed to be high end. It's like seeing a Honda CLK500. If you get what I mean.
    not any more, now xt is deore as is lx

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    not any more, now xt is deore as is lx
    Ok thanks for clearing that up! It's weird they would attach Deore to all of their components from regular Deore up until XTR. At least I can rest easy knowing that if I spent the cash on Deore XT cranks I wouldn't get a buddy saying "You spent WHAT on Deore XT cranks? Man you idiot those are the steel beginner knockoffs, you should have gotten the real Shimano XT's, why do you think they say Deore!"

All 26.5" all the time!
    "Deore XT" has always been the full name of the MTB component group. Sometimes it's shortened to "XT".

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ok thanks for clearing that up! It's weird they would attach Deore to all of their components from regular Deore up until XTR. At least I can rest easy knowing that if I spent the cash on Deore XT cranks I wouldn't get a buddy saying "You spent WHAT on Deore XT cranks? Man you idiot those are the steel beginner knockoffs, you should have gotten the real Shimano XT's, why do you think they say Deore!"
    yeah I was confused at first, but their website just lists deore lx & deore xt

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    yeah, it's always been deore xt.

i remember when deore xt was the top stuff and the next level down was deore dx, then deore lx. there was no "just plain deore". Then I think the recreation level stuff was sx400, sx300, sx200 and the department store stuff was..... tourney? I still see tourney stuff advertised on $99 full suspension rigs.

that was back in the days when suntour xc pro and xc comp "microdrive" was the big competition and sram made crappy twist shifters that needed "bass worms" to actually work.

i could go on, but i won't 'cause i'm old and forgot where i was going with this.....