mtbr member
    May 2008

Deore vs. SLX cranks

How much difference will there be in the SLX cranks over Deore?

The rest of my drivetrain is Deore, will the SLX be compatible with everything else or will I have to change something else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure the SLX stuff will work with everything you already have.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Yip, should be fit and forget -might be worth putting on a new chain at the same time. The SLX is a great crankset, a nice step (or two) up from Deore. Looks good, feels stiff and light, nice rings etc. Go for it

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    SLX is simply the replacement for Deore LX as a mountain bike group. Deore LX is now their top trekking bike group again (which is appropriate because that's where it started out 20 years ago really, when it was called Mountain-LX).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is the BB that comes with the SLX different than I currently have with the Deore? The bike is only a year old.

mtbr member
    BB is probably the same if it is the external type. Only the xtr seems to be different from the others (and that is mainly looks)

thing that should not be
    ive been running my triple ring SLX for a good few months now, and I can say its been great, no noticable flex, its only slightly heavier than the XT. Shifts smooth, no complains really. This finish on the SLX is more durable then the deore in my opinion.

One thing of note though the deore's crank arms are no longer the hollowtech kind. Its solid for 2008 (if im not wrong, someone more knowledgable may confirm this). The new 2010 deore would be another story though.

as for the BB im not sure whether its the same as the SLX though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by razmaru
    One thing of note though the deore's crank arms are no longer the hollowtech kind. Its solid for 2008 (if im not wrong, someone more knowledgable may confirm this). The new 2010 deore would be another story though.
    I've been using the Deore Hollowtech II crankset for about 6 months now.
    They are Hollowtech II (external BB) but not Hollowtech (no hollow cranks).
    The cranks have 3 "walls", not 4 and an empty space.

mtbr member
    I have been useing the SLX crankset for about three months and its great.A guy on here turned me onto it.Paid a hundred bucks at chain reaction.It has been the best buy I have put into my build.One day I am going to get another for my Trek.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento