mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Deore shifter vs XT ?(Gear shifters)

Should i feel diff from there ?

I railed it like Kong
    No. Not really. The new XT's have a push/pull shifting action which is nice. Only riders truely tuned into their bikes every feel is going to notice the crisper shifting from that swap.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

...idios...
    The main difference is that the XT uses a bearing supported shift mechanism, rather than the plastic bushes in the Deore or LX model. This is what makes the shift action lighter, smoother and, therefore, easier. Another benefit of bearings over bushes is that they will last longer. Whilst many riders couldn't tell the difference between the performance of an XT and Deore shifter when each component is new, the difference will begin to become clearer over time.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

I railed it like Kong
    Yeah, that too.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by woods
    Should i feel diff from there ?
    hit your lbs and give both a shot.

the xt action is quicker, lighter, and crisper. to me theres a big dif between the two.

imho sram xo's are even better...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    hit your lbs and give both a shot.

the xt action is quicker, lighter, and crisper. to me theres a big dif between the two.

imho sram xo's are even better...
    I rode XT shifters for years and loved them. But I recently switched to SRAM XO Trigger shifters. And the difference is night and day. The SRAM is so much more crisp and precise. I didn't know what I was missing.

MTB B'dos

Yeah...........

............and so's the price The XT's will run you around $60 and the XO's around $230, just a Weeeeeeeeeeeee bit of price difference there - I'd hope they shift for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I rode XT shifters for years and loved them. But I recently switched to SRAM XO Trigger shifters. And the difference is night and day. The SRAM is so much more crisp and precise. I didn't know what I was missing.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

MTB B'dos
    To the OP, yes you will notice a difference in both the design, construction and action of them. I had Deore shifters and they worked great, especially for the price, but when I switched to the XT's I definitely could tell the difference, was well worth the upgrade IMHO. I just like how the XT's are designed compared to the Deore - longer levers, better construction as SteveUK said. Go for it if you have the cash.

FYI I am one who HATES how the action is on the SRAM stuff.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    ............and so's the price The XT's will run you around $60 and the XO's around $230, just a Weeeeeeeeeeeee bit of price difference there - I'd hope they shift for you.
    hey, its only money. whattaya tryin to do... die rich???

the x9 is on the xt's price level and shifts immensely better than the xt could ever hope to.

MTB B'dos
    I only wish, I'm poor so to speak, don't go in for the work till you drop lifestyle.
    hey, its only money. whattaya tryin to do... die rich???

How much better is the X9 compared to the X7? I ask as that's what I believe I tried and they sucked action wise, didn't really take the bike anywhere - I just didn't like the way they are setup to shift. Anyway I will have a set of X9's on hand in a little while and will give them a little trial before I sell them, just so I can say I tried them.
    the x9 is on the xt's price level and shifts immensely better than the xt could ever hope to.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

willtsmith_nwi
    Hmmm... Pricepoint.com has 2007 X.9s (same thing as X.0 without the Carbon Fiber) at $127 and 2007 XTs at $125.

http://pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Parts-...fters-True.htm

willtsmith_nwi

OK then ...

Then get the 2007 X.9s which are exactly the same thing without the carbon fiber covers.

Double-metric mtb man
    My current ride had an a mix of LX and XT stuff. When I dropped the $35 to upgrade the front Der, I decided to do the shifters. Man, I didn`t think there would be so much of a difference! I can definitely say the XT stuff was better, esp. in the long term.

Regardless of what you run, set it up well and keep on top of the mtce. It makes a huge difference!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Built4Speed
    XT is definately better when shifting.Like what Psycho Mike says above,whatever you run,as long as you maintain it,it'll all run good.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    I have been an Shimano drivetrain fan for years. That is until I demo'ed a bike with X9 shifters and a X0 rear derailleur. IMO, there is nothing in the Shimano lineup that compares to this combination. The shifting was smooth, precise, and almost robotic in nature. There was no waiting for the gear to catch and blind corners than lead that required quick shifts were no problem at all. Using the thumb for up and down shifting too some getting used to. When I got my bike back from repairs, I was so disappointed in the Deore shifters/XT RD combo that I had been running for years.

The XT shifters might be a good upgrade from Deore but it is only a very minor increase in performance compared to a full SRAM config.

BTW, anyone want to buy a used set of Deore shifters, XT derailleur, and LX front derailleur?

MTB B'dos
    Definitely won't be looking to upgrade my XT shifters in any hurry then.

Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Hmmm... Pricepoint.com has 2007 X.9s (same thing as X.0 without the Carbon Fiber) at $127 and 2007 XTs at $125.

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi

[SIZE="7"]Well there ya have it. Well worth the extra $2 bucks.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-12-2007 at 08:22 PM.

meh... whatever
    I only wish, I'm poor so to speak, don't go in for the work till you drop lifestyle.
    me either, my man! we are what is called the "leisure class".

i work a little in the medical field and a little at a lbs so i'll have plenty of "me time" and get parts cheap. all said and done i work maybe 7 months or so total out of the year and play the rest of the time. im not rich, but i sure do have a lot of fun!