mtbr member
    Apr 2007

deore lx front shifter oddities rockhopper

Greetings. UPDATE-THE WD40 DID THE TRICK. SWEET!

I just obtained a (I think) 2000 Spec. Rockhopper Comp. The Deore lx shifter for the rear gears is the push/pull type.
    Something is wacky with shifter or the deore xt derailleur as only the center four cogs can be shifted to. The shifter itself clicks properly through those four cogs, and if I keep shifting past those gears, the push lever just depresses with very little resistance and no clicking.
    Here's the bike.
    Last edited by cornholio666; 04-15-2007 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I've seen this on many Shimano Shifters. While it may be possible to fix, that will be more trouble than it's worth. Just get a new rear shifter.

One trick I could do on some shifters doing this was to push up on the lever while pushing it in and it would sometimes catch and change the gear.

Former Bike Wrench
    The grease tends to harden in Shimano shifters after a while. Sounds like you may be experiencing this problem. Open up the cable port and give it a good soaking with WD-40 (this will be the only situation I will ever recommend WD-40 to be used on a bike). Once its soaked quite a while, start shifting through the gears...usually the shifter pawls will start catching again. Once everything loosens up and the WD-40 evaporates...drip some teflon lube into the shifter and work it in again...you should be set to go.

mtbr member
    While it could be the shifters as mtnbiker72 suggests, make sure that the limit screws allow the derailleur to move past the middle 4 gears. The easiest way to check is to disconnect your cable and the derailleur should "fall" to the smallest gear once you rotate the cranks (assuming it is has the old standard high normal derailleur. If it doesn't back of the limit screws. The Park site is a good starting point: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Tim

Meh.
    After the WD-40, I would blow out the inside with Clean Streak or compressed air, and use some Tri-Flow. It's pretty common to see it at the shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well I took the shifter cover off to see if I could see anything unusual, and the grease didn't look dry to me. I'll try the wd-40 thing.
    The limit screws are okay on the rear derailleur-the shifter is just not engaging. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Updated!