mtbr member
    Nov 2004

deore front mech with old compact drive

Hi,
    Apologies if this is not the right forum, but I thought you guys/girls would be able to shed some light on my problem as I have been out of touch of modern mtbing for a long time.
    I have a 2000 FSR which I am building into a 24 speed hack bike. I have a no name (sugino?) compact drive chainset from 96 which I was going to shove on it (off my old bike), but it seems that the new deore front mech I bought hasnt got enough travel to shift between big and granny rings (the bb length/chain line looks ok). Has the advent of 9 speed deore resulted in a change in chainsets to be even more compact (thinner chains etc)? I was told that new deore would fit anything, but obviously I was sucked in there! Any ideas how to get round this problem (down tube is pretty fat so none of the old mechs from my parts bin fit!)
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.
    cheers dave.

What chainring sizes are you using? Did you change the bb along with the crankset? Is that Deore one of the one-size-fits all front derailleurs?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    the derailleur should work. Bear in mind that derailleurs have a MINIMUM size difference between the rings, otherwise they won't work. I guess that for the shimano deore than minimum is 12 teeth, so a modern standard 32/44 would be fine, but if you have a very compact 30/40 or whatever that may be your problem. If you could describe the symptoms of your problem in great detail that might help.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    cheers for the suggestions. the mech was a "one size fits all" deore one and so it should have worked, but for some reason it didnt. However, swapping it for an altus one has solved the problem and it shifts ok. Dunno why, someone in the LBS tried to tell me it was because altus is designed for 8spd and deore for 9spd, but I am not sure about that to be honest. Anyhow, problem sovled for the mean time.
    cheers Dave.