Mountain Man Dan

Degreaser + Cassette = Into bearings?

A while ago I sprayed down my cassette to clean it, now, a few months later, it sounds like there is no grease on the bearings in that side. You can kind of hear, what sounds like ball bearings moving/knocking around on that side. It says I have a double sealed rear hub. Could some degreaser have gotten into the bearings?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Mountain Man Dan
    Crap. Thought they were sealed????
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    I've had problems with freehubs, sealed and unsealed (looseball) hubs from doing this (slow learner). Now I only degrease the cassette off the bike. And that's from a fairly mild degreaser like diluted simple green.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Mountain Man Dan
    So I guess I should stop riding the bike until I get this fixed.

Plays with tools
    that would be ideal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Crap. Thought they were sealed????
    The bearings most likely are "sealed" but that doesn't mean they're completely impervious. The rubber seals can't be too tight or your wheels wouldn't spin as freely, so these seals can only keep most dirt and water from freely flowing in but they can't completely protect the bearing from everything. It's always possible for some degreaser to get in around the seal especially if it's sprayed at the bearing

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    So I guess I should stop riding the bike until I get this fixed.
    And you asked if it was possible, not if that is the issue.

But any time you have a problem, it should be fixed, no matter what caused it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Mountain Man Dan
    Definitely, I will not ride it until this problem gets addressed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd say keep riding if you know for sure that it is the bearings. Most likely they are already damaged if they sound and feel gritty, so you might as well keep riding and having fun until you can replace them.

I've ridden on shot Shimano rear hubs without any issue for years on cheap bikes. Never once ran into a problem, other than it feels horrible when you spin the wheel haha

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos
    I'd say keep riding if you know for sure that it is the bearings. Most likely they are already damaged if they sound and feel gritty, so you might as well keep riding and having fun until you can replace them.

Great advice here.

Why would he do something that could cause further damage, which would cost him more money, then get it looked at and fixed. If its just axle cones and bearings, its probably a $35.00 job parts & labor. Or he could continue riding it and have to have a hub replaced.

Really good thinking.

Class Clown

No good

I've ridden on shot Shimano rear hubs without any issue for years on cheap bikes. Never once ran into a problem, other than it feels horrible when you spin the wheel haha
    Not only bad advice, but shimano hubs seriously? They are so easy to service

Fat-tired Roadie
    With luck, the cones aren't even damaged. The cost of the fix could be several minutes of the OP's time and a tube of grease, if he doesn't already have one around.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Dremer 03, you have competition
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Because running a hub that was already loose is a bad idea for a few hours? Okay. Hes already ridden it like that, so what would be the difference? Oh no, a new hub? Sadface.

Ride the bike and worry about it later. That is always more fun, even if you have to invest a few extra bucks.

mtbr member
    Because running a hub that was already loose is a bad idea for a few hours? Okay. Hes already ridden it like that, so what would be the difference? Oh no, a new hub? Sadface.

Ride the bike and worry about it later. That is always more fun, even if you have to invest a few extra bucks.
    First of all there is a big difference between knowingly choosing to do something irresponsible with your own stuff and telling other people to do irresponsible things as "good advice"

Anyway, the potential difference in repair costs can be huge between being playing it safe to not cause further damage and purposefully running it into the ground and paying for a new hub and a wheelbuild. All it takes is a little patience