mtbr member
    Jul 2011

deciphering lower end Shimano quality?

is there a notable difference in reliability and durability among 2013 shimano tourney, altus, acera, and alivio derailleurs? front versus rear? also, where would older and newer sram x4 rank to those shimano grades? the purpose is for light trail riding for a soon to be teenager so just looking for best bang for the buck that i should be aiming for my 12 year old son. appreciate any feedback, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i forgot to add a question on the cranks too. Specifically, is there a notable strength/quality difference between Norco Charger's cransket: FSA Dyna Drive 44/32/22T with FSA BB-7420ST Cartridge bottom bracket compared to Spec Hardrock's crankset: Alloy, 7/8-speed, square taper spindle and bottom bracket: Square taper, cartridge bearing, 68mm shell? would either one suffice for a 12 year old boy delving into light trail riding for the next 3 years or more or would one be a clear better choice? again, looking forward to any insights that are shared.

mtbr member
    One thing to consider is that at 12 y/o your son will probably outgrow this bike in no more than 2 years at max so durability may not necessarily be that much of a factor. I'd stay away from Tourney but beyond that I think you're fine. I'm not sure how the x4 stuff compared with lower end Shimano these days- probably about the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My friend owns a lbs. He sells Kona bikes and they are using Sram x4 on some of thier lower models. On others they are using Shimano altus, acera stuff. He greatly prefers the x4 to the lower end Shimano. I helped build a few new bikes and found the x4 does feel better than the lower end Shimano. I can't comment on durability though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have x4 and tourney stuff(although not happy about tourney) I must say when tuned correctly they work as they should, the SRAM rear derailleur shifts crisper but I like the shimano FD more than the SRAM for ease of use. As far as durability goes the tourney stuff is actually so old it's still has the name SIS on it , I am not the first owner of that bike but it is from 2000 and from what I can see its taken its fair share of beatings.

SRAM: the x4 setup came on my newer bike I bought a month ago, so far no problems and it looks to be built with better metals than the tourney.

Verdict: choose whichever you would like, chances are they will do what they need to.