mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Custom cassette for DH bike?

Bike is a 2000 Ellsworth Dare proto DH (single ring only). With the DH stays I need to run a 40 or 42t ring. That's fine but I also use this bike to freeride and need to climb some hills! What I'd like to do is something like this;
    - take an 8 speed Megarange cassette (11-34 I think)
    - Move the 2 largest cogs (34 and n) in 2 positions and replace them with spacers
    - remove the 2nd & 3rd smallest cogs, leaveing the smallest with built in spacer

So this cuts me down to a 1x6, but I've found that with a 40t those are the only 6 I need anyways. My question is - is it possible to do this? Does anyone offer custom services to do it for the mechanically impaired? Thanks!

jc

mtbr member
    I think jeff jones sells 6-speed 17-34 XTR cassettes (9 speed cut down). Why not just use a normal 9 speed cassette?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended
    Bike is a 2000 Ellsworth Dare proto DH (single ring only). With the DH stays I need to run a 40 or 42t ring. That's fine but I also use this bike to freeride and need to climb some hills! What I'd like to do is something like this;
    - take an 8 speed Megarange cassette (11-34 I think)
    - Move the 2 largest cogs (34 and n) in 2 positions and replace them with spacers
    - remove the 2nd & 3rd smallest cogs, leaveing the smallest with built in spacer

So this cuts me down to a 1x6, but I've found that with a 40t those are the only 6 I need anyways. My question is - is it possible to do this? Does anyone offer custom services to do it for the mechanically impaired? Thanks!

jc
    No sweat. Here's a good primer on what you are doing from the pvdwiki, just change the cogs to the ones you want to use. If you want to use the smallest cog and back it up against something other than the regular 2 position cog you will have to grind it down like PVD did.

What are you using now, 8 or 9 speed? If you want to piece together parts from 2 cassettes like PVD did you need to make sure one is an 8 speed if that's what your shifters are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Using an 8 now. Because of the setup of the stays the chainline just can't deal with the big cog. Not an issue for lift served & DH, but sometmies I have to climb too. Putting the 32 or 34 in the 5 or 6 spot gives me one gear for climbing and 5 for speed. Thanks guys!

jc

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On many 8 speed cassettes the smallest three cogs are not screwed or riveted together. If you had one of these you wouldn't have to modify anything.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I have a Super V4000 DH and need to climb. I run an eight speed and an ideal cassette for me would be 34-32-30-28-26 then whatever. I have the 34 and the 28, soon as I can get the funds for the 32, 30 I will build.

Members who have read this thread: 0