Pwning Trails

"Crunchy" noise coming from crank / BB area

Hi,

I just switched over parts to my new 29er frame from a 26er. I went for a ride yesterday and everything was smooth and kick ass. A little muddy but no biggee. After the ride I gave the bike a little wash down for the hose. Today I went for a light ride around the neighborhood with my dog and noticed that when I stood up out of my saddle to crank, I started hearing a noise that didn't sound good. I stopped checked things, everything looks tight. Rode some more to see if I can figure out the "crunchy" feeling that I feel in my feet.

Any ideas guys? My first guess is that my BB is hosed? I'm sure the water hose didn't hose stuff eh? I'm not sure, kind of new to bike repair area. Please help, thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I gave the bike a little wash down for the hose.

Pwning Trails
    lol, the hose couldn't have done anything I ran low pressure water over the frame and paid careful attention to avoid the BB - eh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is probably just dirt in the threads of the BB cups. Take it back apart and use a toothbrush to clean the threads out. If the bearings are crunchy they may be toast. If this is the case take the covers off clean it out, grease it and replace the covers. That should at least get you going for a couple rids until you can replace the BB if it is trashed.

Pwning Trails
    What would be the "cups"? Is that the splines where the cranks are attached? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The cups are the 2 pieces that hold the BB into the frame. They are what you use your BB tool on to remove the BB.
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

No good in rock gardens..
    What sort of BB is it? This is a common source of woes with cartridge BB's - I just went through it with mine after a ride through a muddy puddle. I pull off the cranks, pull out the BB, clean the whole lot, clean the threads of the BB shell, regrease it all and reinstall. That fixes the problem with cartridge BB's more often than not - unless the bearings are toast.

As Leland said, some fine silt probably got washed in there.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Pwning Trails
    Thanks guys. I took it by the LBS today to have it checked out. Evidently it was just loose, so they took it apart greased up and cranked it on tight ... few !

thanks again guys