mtbr member

Cross chain type noise on 2x10, need advise.

Havent been able to find any detailed info on this so had to start new thread.

Trek 29er hardtail
    slx shifters/ RD and FD on 2x10
    Shimano hg-62 cassette 11-34
    m590 Crankset on 22/32/bash
    KMC x10 chain (just the $30 one atm, but its brand new like the rest of the parts)

Converted 3x8 to 2x10

All works great except ONE issue. Get cross chain type noise when big front small/10th rear. Chain is rubbing on 9th on the cassette. Not sure whats going on. Wasnt there much when I put everything together, at least that i noticed but notice it now.

RD all set correctly even backed limit screw off a bit to see if it helped any. Nothing. Still annoying cause I want it perfect. Plus being I have full use of gear range in FD for either chainring didnt think i would have a problem in the back but I do.

Rear hub is stock with wheel, 10s compatible hub went together perfect. Checked to see if I twisted frame a tad, LBS said its perfect.

Did/do I need to do a spacer change on the axle to move the hub over a mm or 2? Or is this another problem I dont know about? Too dark in garage to get pic, can tomorrow if needed.

Thnx
    Last edited by tigris99; 04-27-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    EDITED: big/little is doable for the most part however it sounds to me like the chainline is off to have the chain rub the next inner cog.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 04-27-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: bad info while asleep

mtbr member
    Big/little is good, It's big /big and small/small that are usually to be avoided.

If the chain is rubbing the 13t while you are in the 11t (big ft. ring) I can't think of any reason other than the chainline being off.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Cross chain type noise on 2x10, need advise.

My first thought was indexing (cable tension) or limit screw adjustment. sounds like you know your way around a derailleur so I'll assume you have those dialed. In which case I cast my vote for chainline.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Big/little is good, It's big /big and small/small that are usually to be avoided.
    ahhhh yes i stand corrected as i was near asleep.

If the chain is rubbing the 13t while you are in the 11t (big ft. ring) I can't think of any reason other than the chainline being off.
    Well I managed 1 outta 2 being correct..

mtbr member
    Ok guess now I just need to know how to fix it. Not a fancy crankset so can't adjust there. So how do I fix this.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    First I think you need to measure to see if that really is the deal and if so exactly how far it needs to be adjusted and go from there. There is a tutorial somewhere on this forum on how to measure chainline.

mtbr member
    Ya sorry I asked for help before I hit google,lol. Found it. Also, should have taken a pic, looks like 10th is awfully close to the dropout. Not so much it rubs or anything but its REALLY close to it and chainstay. Hub all that was set stock for 8s and I put 8s cassette on just to look and its not near as close to the dropout. So now to measure and sort out how much I need to change, then recenter my wheel/tire accordingly if needed...

Thnx for the help, gave me the direction I needed to research and sort out.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wait, you said it's rubbing the 9th cog on the cassette but now you are noticing chain rub on the chainstay? Which is it?

Anyways, my .02 is to make sure you didn't cross thread the locking nut on the cassette when you put the new cassette on. It is possible the 10th cog is slightly off causing the chain to "wobble" in that gear. I've done it before when I was putting together a cassette too hastily.

mtbr member
    Not rubbing just really close to the dropout in 10th.

Did check cassette nut and such all good there. I did take measurements and simply looking at u can see that the wheel was built stock for the bike with the chainline being like that... Guess it was ok for 8 speed. Changed washers around a bit and problem solved. Plus centered rim/tire up on the frame, go figure LOL.
    Trek Marlin 29er