low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008

Creaky Truvativ Firex Cranks

Okay, after a few rides I noticed a creaking sound when I'd pedal and after inspecting, I found some play in the crank arms. I took everything apart, regreased all threads, tightened the BB down good, tightened the cranks down good, and the play was no more. What do I hear as I start pedaling? *CREAK CREAK* Now what? I know these are cheapo cranks, but I just don't have the money to shell out for some XT's at the moment...Any ideas before I take it to the shop? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hmm, check the following.

Could be;
    1) pedals - do they need grease or need to be tightened?
    2) loose suspension pivots (if of course you have a dually)
    3) seat post bolt not tight, no grease on the shaft
    4) chain-ring bolts loose
    5) old creaky housing (again if you have a dually bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Might need some Teflon tape on the bb treads

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    Okay, after a few rides I noticed a creaking sound when I'd pedal and after inspecting, I found some play in the crank arms. I took everything apart, regreased all threads, tightened the BB down good, tightened the cranks down good, and the play was no more. What do I hear as I start pedaling? *CREAK CREAK* Now what? I know these are cheapo cranks, but I just don't have the money to shell out for some XT's at the moment...Any ideas before I take it to the shop? Thanks.
    There is tightening them down "good", then there is torquing them to spec. See if you can find a torque wrench and get them set at 32 ft-lbs. Borrow the wrench for a while - they may loosen up for the first 2-3 rides.

If you over tighten the bolt - you'll crush those bearings in the GXP. Same goes if it's not tight enough - you'll get play and destroy the bearings. The FireX will run fine for a long time if installed properly - they use the same GXP BB as the other cranks across the Truvativ line.

FYI - I don't grease the threads of the locking bolt - just the interface on the arms and the back side of the extracting bolt. I use blue locktite on the actual bolt itself.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin