Thread: Creaky frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Creaky frame?

Hi,
    My bike seems to have developed an extreme creak since I put it on my trainer. I'm looking for some help in trying to understand where it might be coming from.

Data:
    1) Only creaks under moderate to heavy load induced by the trainer.
    2) Creaks if I'm standing or sitting on the seat - usually, seatpost creaks disappear if I stand up. That isn't the case here and I've eliminated the seatpost as a source of creaking.
    3) Rear wheel is relatively new and has low miles on it. Spokes are tensioned well.
    4) Pedals are tight, cranks seem tight and don't have play. Haven't pulled bottom bracket but will if that is the only idea people have.
    5) Cassette, chain in good shape.

Longshot, but the last person to ride this bike (it is my spare/stationary trainer bike) weighs about 200 (vs. my weight of 167). Seems unlikely but could a crack have developed in the frame? How would I determine this? Frame is about 4.5 years old (Cannondale F900SX).

Any help in diagnosing this problem would be appreciated. Creak is quite loud and driving me crazy.

thanks,
    arn

mtbr member
    Start with the bottom bracket, pull the cranks off, see how easily it turns by hand (bearing check), if it is REAL hard to turn by hand you might have some bad bearings. If not reinstall with some grease on the threads see if noise goes away. Also, could be the headset, basically do the same type of maintenance there. If this does not fix the prob, could be a cracked frame. Inspect the frame for cracks if you haven't already. Common prob. areas are under the downtube next to the head tube, down by the bottom bracket, near the top of the seat tube, just give it a good looking over. Oh, also make sure your stem bolts are greased. -t

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Great suggestions - I'll try these and report back results. Stem was actually replaced recently so I'll try this first when I return to town.