mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Creaky Bottom Bracket More Ideas?

Hi all,

I have been having problems with a creaky bottom braket on a trek 8500 (MY 2000?)

It has square taper cranks so I replaced it with a Shimano UN73 bottom bracket with plenty of grease and Teflon tape on the threads, tightened down to 50 ft/lbs. Crank bolts were lubed and have been tightened at tight as possible.

It still creaks, Just a little tick when I really mash the pedals. I can only really notice it when I ride on the street, on the trails the tire noise etc. is louder but I can't stand knowing that it creaks any other ideas?

I am a Clyde at 230lbs. Am I just doomed to creaky bottom brakets, with the square tapered type atleast?

Thanks

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Are you sure...

it is not your pedals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For what it's worth...

My 2001 SC Chameleon had always creaked, similar to what you describe. I eventually found the source... actually there were three sources. A slight tick was coming from the seatpost head (grease fixed that) , a bit of the creak was from the front QR skewer which was a little loose, and the biggest cause of the creaking was an old cassette. All three creaks sounded just like they were coming from the BB.

I guess the moral of the story is that a BB creak can come from anywhere... usually not the bottom bracket itself. Here's a helpful link:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=98

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I checked the pedals and they are snug, I'll take them off and lube the threade to be sure, they spin smoothly so I don't think anything is wrong with the bearing.

Thanks for that link, I'll run through the list, off the bat the first suggestion that stood out was greasing the under side of the crank bolt i have only grease the threads.

Thanks for the ideas I'll keep tracking working to track it down.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Tighten the rear QR skewer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Chrome Toaster
    I've found that about 75% of so called bottom bracket sqeak complaints in fact have nothing to do with the bottom bracket. Verify its not the pedal bearings/bushings or seatpost/seat tube/clamp/rails.