Thread: Creaking Sound

mtbr member

Creaking Sound

I bought my Giant XTC 2 29er a few days ago and soon after noticed a creaking sound. I did a few tests to check where it's coming from, loosened screws, tightened them, loosened pads on disk breaks, removed the seat, locked fork, etc... and only recently noticed that it only made that sound when I was using the pedals. I'm assuming the problem is with my crank but I'm not sure what could be the problem, other than the bearings but its a brand new bike so I really don't think thats its. Should I try to open it up and see or take it to my lbs where I bought the bike, is this the sort of thing they would consider to be under warranty?

P.S My chain is pretty dirty, could that be causing it? I'll post pics in a few...

Mountain Man Dan
    First step. Take the pedals off, clean threads, throw a light coat of grease on it, and put them back on. Take it for a ride, and report back.

mtbr member
    Any idea what type of grease I should use? My lbs isn't so local, its more than an hour away so would walmart or another generic store sell it?

EDIT: I'm assuming good ol' wd-40 wont work

Mountain Man Dan
    For pedal threads, any type of grease. You will want to do research on what grease to use when you start using grease to repack bearings ( hubs, headset, crank ). But threads, anything.

mtbr member
    Fixed! I just put a bit of WD-40 on each thread, a bit on the cassette and it worked like a charm! Can't thank you enough, you saved me an hour ride to my lbs and what I'm sure would have been an expensive "diagnostic"

Mountain Man Dan
    No problem. Now I have to diagnose my creak noise, Already did the pedals. Next is crankset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    No problem. Now I have to diagnose my creak noise, Already did the pedals. Next is crankset.
    Good luck mate, hope all goes well!

Mountain Man Dan
    Thanks. Already had my LBS take it apart ( so I think they did ) and put it back together and it creaks worse.....My turn.

mtbr member
    Hahaha, I think we might share the same LBS.

Me: Is the price firm?
    Him: Yes
    Me: Could you throw in this water bottle
    Him: No.

Their 'work station' is a single saddle post bike stand and a kit of tools I'm almost certain they bought at walmart. I got home and had to readjust the saddle horizontally and adjust the psi in my fork...

Mountain Man Dan
    Doesn't mean anything. My old LBS had 4, spotless work stations. The mechanics didn't know ****. My new LBS has 2, not spot less, and they are f'ing awesome!

mtbr member
    We'll at least now I have some hope that, as far as tune ups go, I'm not completely screwed. Thanks again for all of the help mate, hope everything goes well on your end!

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    Thanks. Already had my LBS take it apart ( so I think they did ) and put it back together and it creaks worse.....My turn.
    Two things that are often overlooked as a potential source of noise are the rear wheel skewer and the derailleur.

The skewer should be removed, cleaned, and greased. It should be clamped down very tightly. While the wheel is out, clean and grease the dropouts. Also while the wheel is out, consider removing, cleaning and greasing the d-hanger. Use Loctite when reinstalling the hanger bolt.

I recently had a fairly new derailleur that was the source of my annoying noise. It was the bolt attaching it to the bike, which, of course, is captive in the derailleur and required a bit of finesse in the absence of the proper tools to remove the clip holding in the bolt.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Mountain Man Dan
    I realize it could be other spots. But It was clicking before I brought it to them. I got it back, it still clicked, but differently ( one big click at the bottom of stroke, mixed with others ). I'll get the tool anyways because it's nice to have ( to remove hollow tech crank/BB ).

Thanks for the reply. I may do what you said anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My bike begins creaking when I've been biking for more than an hour or when I exert a lot of force pedalling (whichever comes first). I don't know where the creaking is coming from if it's from the pedals or the BB or the frame's coil shock absorber.