Weekend Warrior

Creaking noise from BB

I have troubles with a creaking noise only when I apply pressure with my right foot on the pedal. It's driving me nuts. So when I get back to the bikeshop (i still got warranty), the noise is gone. Did that twice. What could that be. I've read stuff about creeking pedals (i tightened them up, I even read about creeking bashguards, i tightened it too.

Could a sealed BB go bad after just 1 year?

Wouldn't it creak when I apply force on both pedals?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes a BB can go bad after just a year. Also sometimes it's the threads. Try using some nylon plumber's tape on the threads both the drive and non-drive sides. I would say that's your problem if the shop stops it for a while. A bad BB should creak no matter what. And you would feel some looseness when you pull on the crank arms if the BB was bad.

Weekend Warrior
    Okay, I do not feel any loosenes at all; just creeking.

Are you talking about the threads of the pedals? I don't know enough about the BB to pull it apart. I guess I'll have the LBS figure it out....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my rockhopper did the same thing. took it to the shop and it was a loose crank bolt. they tightened it and it has started to creek again after one ride. I'm gonna use some locktite blue and see if that fixes it. Try tightening your crank bolt. If that isn't the answer then maybe we bith have the same crappy BB and issue.

Weekend Warrior
    Already did that, after around 10 miles it started again. I think the BB is the problem. Now I took it through some water and mud not too long ago, but I understand this is supposed to be sealed.

I still have warranty on that thing, but maybe the LBS will let me upgrade for a little $$ so that this doesn't happen again when its out of warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not the pedals, the threads on the BB itself. It's not that difficult, but you need some tools to get the crank arms off and the BB out, so you're right to just have the lbs do it. You might want to try another shop to get another opinion on the problem. I don't know about your shops but the shops around here get all *****y if you tell them how to fix something, or that they didn't fix the problem yet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I forgot to ask what BB is it? Who makes it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Old style square taper won't give you this problem. I am assuming you are on an external BB setup. Mine would start creaking and giving issues after a few rides in the beginning. A complete clean would silence the thing up, but after a few rides the X type bracket would start creaking after about 4-5 miles into a ride every time until I would take it apart and clean it again.

Threw it away and bought a square taper last year. Haven't had to do anything at all and it still is silent as could be through 5-6 races and lots of miles on rough terrain. You will want to get all the tools for your bottom bracket because you will be taking it apart quite a bit.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Weekend Warrior
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 126mm for 50mm chainline